Make pasteis de nata yourself
A do-it-yourself pasteis de nata recipe! The Portuguese pudding tarts are often there for breakfast. They tasted so good to us that we have been baking them at home ever since. We have the recipe from ours Trips to Savor brought along. So we experience the culinary delights of Portugal in the domestic kitchen again. This is a recipe that you can cook at home with just a few ingredients. The original Pasteis de Nata recipe comes from a bakery in Belem. Thousands of these delicious pastries are made there every day. In the hotels on our Alentejo trip there was always a large selection of pastries for breakfast in the morning. That ranged from chocolate cake to lemon cake. The Pasteis de Nata, however, were always part of it. Therefore we present you a Pasteis de Nata recipe with which you can bake the delicious tartlets at home.
Pasteis de Nata recipe
You need this for the dough:
600 g flour
1 / 4 TL sea salt
200 ml water
16 EL soft, stirred butter
Pasteis de Nata recipe for the cream:
3 tbsp all-purpose flour (or a a gluten-free alternative, e.g. buckwheat flour)
300 ml of milk
350 g sugar
1 cinnamon stick
150 ml water
1 / 2 TL vanilla extract
6 big egg yolk, beaten
For the garnish you also need:
Preparation of the Pasteis de Nata recipe:
First you make the dough
- Using the blender, stir the flour with the salt and water until you get a soft dough that will come off the bowl.
- Then you roll out the part to an approximately 15 cm large rectangle on a floured surface. Dust the dough with some flour, cover it with cling film and let it rest at room temperature for about 15 min.
- Then you roll out the dough into a rectangle with about 50 cm side. While doing so, lift the dough off the base. So you make sure that it does not stick.
- Excess flour then scratches off the dough. Cuts odd edges. Then you brush the left 2 / 3 of the dough with a little less than 1 / 3 of butter. Leave an edge of about 2 cm free.
- Then you fold the unbaked right dough third over it. Wipe off excess flour and fold over the left third of the dough. Then you push the dough down with your hand, so that possible air bubbles escape. Then squeeze the edges of the dough to seal it.
- Then you roll out the dough again and repeat the steps 3-5.
- For the third and final rolling up of the dough turn the dough 90 ° to the left and roll out the dough to a 50 + 55 cm rectangle. The shorter side should point to you. Then smear the entire dough surface with butter.
- With the help of the spatula, you loosen the dough and roll it into a tight roll. Make sure to remove excess flour. Then cut the ends straight and split the roll in half. Then you wrap each half in cling film and put it in the fridge for at least two hours. You can freeze this dough for up to 3 months. A simple Pasteis de Nata recipe.
Then you prepare the cream:
- Stir the flour and 75 ml of milk into a smooth dough.
- Then bring the sugar, cinnamon stick and water to a boil in a small pan and cook until it reaches 100 °.
- In the meantime, bring the rest of the milk to a boil in another pot. You then mix these with the flour mixture.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Then you pour the sugar syrup in a thin stream into the mixture of hot milk and flour. You stir this vigorously. Then add the vanilla extract and stir for one minute until the mixture is warm but not hot. Mix the egg yolk underneath. Then pour the mixture into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put her aside. The pudding will be liquid. You can freeze this up to 3 days.
Next you make the pies:
- Preheat the oven to 290 ° C. Take a rolling pin out of the refrigerator and roll it back and forth on a lightly floured surface until it is about two and a half inches thick and 40 cm long. Then you cut them into 2 cm long pieces. Lay a piece of dough with the cut surface down in a coated muffin tin. Then let the dough pieces soften for a few minutes until they can be worked.
- Provide a cup of water. In it you keep your fingers crossed. With these you reach into the middle of the dough spiral. Then press it against the bottom of the mold to a dough thickness of about 5 mm. Then you squeeze the dough up the sides until a protruding edge of about 1 cm is created. The dough sides should be thinner than the bottom.
- Then you fill each of the dough container 3 / 4 fully with the slightly warm pudding. Bake the pasteis de nata until the edges curl and turn brown. That takes about 8-9 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the oven and let the Pasteis de Nata cool in the mold for a few minutes. Then let it cool on a grid until just warm. Then sprinkle the Pasteis de Nata liberally with hail sugar and then with cinnamon. They taste best when served immediately.
Do you already know:
- Baking supplies store
- What do you need for hiking
- Order a hiking backpack – what you should know before you buy it
- Recipes from all over the world
- Dips for grilling - a selection
- At the edge of the wilderness - The Elmhirst Resort
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline