Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt
The Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin lures us. Christmas and the weeks before are always a time for us to visit Christmas markets. The first advent weekend we spend in Berlin. “What better thing to do at this time of year than visit a Christmas market?” we ask ourselves. So we decide to check out a market we've heard a lot of good things about: the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt, right in the city center of Berlin. It is also practical for us, as our hotel is located Hilton, but right on the Gendarmenmarkt, so almost on your doorstep.
The Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin
We do not yet know this place and are overwhelmed by the setting in front of which this Advent market takes place: the tents, under which the market stalls are located, stand on the square, which is surrounded by two impressive church buildings - the German Cathedral on one side of the square and the French Friedrichstadtkirche on the other side. Behind the market tents, the magnificent façade of the Konzerthaus Berlin towers above the square. All three buildings, like the tents in front of them, shine in a festive glow of Christmas, and a Christmas tree that is so densely lit up that you can barely see the green of the tree completes the picture that presents itself. Our first impression of this Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin takes our breath away. Beautiful!
Book your hotel at the Christmas market here
- Please note: in 2022 the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt will take place at Bebelplatz at the opera instead.
- The Rocco Forte Hotel De Rome* is closest to the Christmas market.
- Im Regent Hotel* you will sleep well with soundproof windows.
- You can spend the night exceptionally and inexpensively in the Space Night Capsule Hostel*, which is not far away.
- The Riu Plaza Berlin* is a bit further away, but offers free parking.
- Want more choice? Then look for yours Hotel nearby* here.
When we want to enter the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin, we are slowed down and sent back to the cash register. "A Christmas market that you have to pay for?" I think to myself. "That's something new." Admission only costs one euro per person, but this measure unfortunately has the unpleasant side effect that the space available is limited, because obviously the number of visitors is not limited. Instead, more and more people stream into the fenced area where the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin takes place, and crowd ever closer together.
Celebrating the Christmas season at the Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin
Can we initially stop in front of the Christmas stalls at the Christmas market on Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin to see what is on offer and taste roasted pumpkin seeds or almonds? up to the counter of a punch stand or one Gingerbreadstand to fight. A leisurely stop and drink the mulled wine slowly degenerates into an attempt not to pour the entire contents of the cup over your coat because passers-by bump into you.
We therefore recommend visiting the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin during the quieter times of the day and on weekdays. Then a stroll through the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin is sure to be a pleasure. However, the Sunday evening on which we were there should be avoided if possible or at least be there early in order to be able to enjoy your stay better.
Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt Opening times
21.11. – 31.12.2022
€1 entry fee
Venue : Bebelplatz at the State Opera
What you need for a visit to Berlin
- You will do a lot of walking in Berlin. Hence are comfortable shoes important.
- If you are planning an elegant evening, then you should comfortable pumps .
- With these Winter boots your feet stay warm even in freezing temperatures.
- hiking socks keep your feet warm even in winter.
- Dress warmly for visiting the Christmas market.
- The Berlin Christmas markets offer many goodies that are suitable as souvenirs. The ones mentioned here are just a few of them. In one backpack you can definitely accommodate them.
- Forget yours Camera not, because Berlin tempts you to take photos in many places.
Christmas markets in Europe & tips for Berlin
- In her post, Olga Maria talks about places where you can spend Christmas in Europe Christmas in Europe collected. (in English)
- A wonderful Collection of german christmas markets are on Europe up Close (in English)
- How different Christmas markets can be, they show Christmas markets in Passau and Altötting.
- Museoly introduces the Top 20 Christmas Destinations in Europe .
- To warm you up after visiting the Christmas market, Cheryl recommends that Vabali Spathat is otherwise worth a stay.
- The Christmas markets in Cologne introduces Els in English.
Arrival to the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin
Hotels in Berlin:
Travel Guide for Berlin:
For orientation on site you will find at Amazon Berlin Travel Guide *.
Here you can find Christmas tips for other regions
Do you also know:
- Visiting Berlin - Tips on what you can do
- Water features in Kassel
- Kassel sights
- American Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Slow Travel Tips here.
Source Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin Research on the Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin
Text Christmas market at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos Christmas market at Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Video : © Copyright Petar Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline