Enjoy the Wachau in autumn
A holiday in the Wachau Autumn is an experience for the senses. This section of the Danube valley has impressed us with its steep slopes that rise above the Danube. Experiencing the Wachau in autumn is an experience. On the southern slopes in the western part of the Wachau the sun shines on stone terraces on which wine varieties such as Riesling, Grüner Veltliner or Neuburger Smaragd thrive. The vineyards change color. winemaker decorate their vinotheques autumnal. We had in Burgenland already experienced the autumn colors of the vines. So we decided to drive through Lower Austria a detour to Germany through the Wachau im Weinviertel close. We wanted us on this one Wine journey through Austria see what it looks like in the Wachau in Indian summer. These photos show how well it is worth it.
The Wachau in autumn on a road trip along the Danube
You can do as we do and enjoy the Wachau in autumn on a drive along the Danube. Take your time. Enjoy the foliage colors of the forests and vineyards. These shine in warm colors at this time of year. Autumn in the Wachau is a time when you can enjoy the region, its hiking trails and restaurants without the crowds.
Winegrowers prepare the Wachau vineyards for winter in autumn
Take a break at one of the Wachau wineries. There you will learn interesting facts about the work of the winegrowers. Maybe you can peek over the shoulder of one or two of them as they prepare their vineyards for the winter months.
Enjoy the Wachau on a hike in autumn
Hiking in the Wachau in autumn is a special experience. There are many Walking, which lead through the steep slopes and the region along the Danube in all levels of difficulty. The best known is World Heritage Climb through the Wachau.
You need that for a hike through the Wachau in autumn
- Pack your backpack with our packing list for hikers. Then you are guaranteed to have everything you need on the go.
- Comfortable You need walking shoes for wide feetwhere you can walk well even on rough paths
- The backpack is definitely practical for everything you need on the go.
- The region offers beautiful photo opportunities. Therefore you should bring your Camera .
- Are you looking for Gifts for hikers?
The castles of the Wachau in autumn
Worthwhile hiking destinations are also the castles and castle ruins that are enthroned on the steep slopes above the Danube valley. You can reach most of them via hiking trails. Only a few can be reached by car. However, they are also nice to look at from a boat trip on the Danube. The Wachau in autumn offers many possibilities for excursions.
If you are planning a weekend break in the Wachau, we recommend it to you Garden hotel and winery Pfeffel in Dürnstein, which is surrounded by vineyards on the Danube.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
– Do you want to rent a mobile home? Then you can find information here, for example, and booking options. Or would you rather stay overnight instead? roof tent on the car? In addition, the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
– Be sure to check our packing list for camperswhether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour. Then you are ready for your wine weekend in Franconia.
- You want to know where to go with a motorhome stay in Europe Can you and are you looking for pitches and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
– A campsite on the Danube in the Wachau is Wachau-Camping Rossatz, Rossatzbach 21, 3602 Rossatzbach, Austria. For example, you can stay there in one after a day trip Dutch Oven or on the portable grill . You can also find Dutch oven accessories you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Parking at the airport
Arriving by plane, public transport or car
For example, book your journey here by flight, bus or train*. The nearest airport is Vienna Schwechat. From there you can then travel to the Wachau in autumn by rental car or public transport. Train stations are in Krems as well as in Melk.
The also runs from April to October Wachau railway
Wachau Travel Guide:
The most comprehensive travel guide for the Nibelungengau, the Wachau, the Kremstal, the Weinviertel and the Waldviertel. Here you will find pretty much everything you need to know for a trip to the Wachau. There are also travel tips and information for the surrounding regions. This also makes excursions possible. The small hiking guide at the end of the travel guide also provides route suggestions for hikes with detailed hiking maps. The Wachau, Waldviertel, Weinviertel travel guide is the ideal reference work for a holiday in the Wachau. Order here*.
If you purchase via a link marked *, we receive a commission, which we use to run this blog.
Do you know this?
- Taste the World: Wine Regions to Discover
- Wachau attractions for connoisseurs
- Experience the Wachau: A boat trip full of breathtaking views
- Durnstein in the Wachau
- Gottweig Abbey
- Melk Abbey, Austria
- Autumn travel
Source Wachau in autumn: research on site. Our opinions definitely remain our own.
Text Wachau in autumn: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline