Hiking in the Waldviertel
I almost wait to see trolls behind the next block of granite, that's how mysterious the heath region is. It looks a bit mystical, the landscape of the Blockheide in Gmünd Waldviertel in Lower Austria with their lakes and ponds, the stacked granary blocks and the forest pieces that we pass on our way. There are still light morning mist over the damp grass on which the dew has collected during the night. It is fresh on this October morning and we can see that the nights are already getting colder. Of the Autumn has found its way into the high areas in the Waldviertel. We're going there in October on one Hike through this heathland in Gmünd-Eibenstein.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- The closest campsite to Blockheide Gmünd is Camping Waldenstein. There are other campsites in the area. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven on the portable grill to prepare your dinner.
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information here as well as booking options. Or do you prefer to travel with him roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campersto see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Austria has a comprehensive network of campsites, there are parking spaces in all parts of the country. Outside of camping and parking spaces, you can stay overnight for a maximum of one night. But be careful: there are regional bans (Tyrol, Vienna). Camping Guide for Austria * you can buy it here.
- Why is an e-bike folding bike useful when camping?
As soon as we leave the village of Eibenstein, something is actually moving on the edge of the forest. But trolls aren't. It is a group of deer that, in the early morning silence, dare to venture out of the protection of the forest into the fields in front of it. It takes a while for them to notice us. But then suddenly they start running and after seconds they have disappeared into the darkness of the forest. A nice start to our hike through the Blockheide im Waldviertel.
Heathland in the protected area
This heath landscape has been under protection since 1960. Our companion is Anna Laister, who is very knowledgeable in this region and takes regular tours through the Blockheide. She enthusiastically tells what we will see and shows us the five hiking trails that lead through the area on a display board: “I want to show you the pond and the lookout tower. And definitely some of our granite formations, ”she laughs. "These are the highlights of a hike through the Blockheide."
What you should pack for a hike through the Blockheide Gmünd in the Waldviertel
- Find Walking shoes for wide feet here
- On a hike you need one backpackin which you drink, Brotzeit, and what other kind of picknick need one Jacket and store odds and ends. One Lunch box with board and other practical utensils for hikers can be found here.
- Check with our Hiking checklistwhether you have packed everything you need for a hike.
The names of the trails make you curious: there are the granite tour, the mythology tour, the landscape tour (sic) and the ladybug path. We pick a snippet of them all because we lack the time to explore the whole area. But for an overview it is enough. First, we pass old crossroads and reach through a short piece of wood the central pond of the block heath. A family of ducks is loudly chattering from the small island that lies in the middle of the pond. It looks nice as the mother of the duck swims ahead and follows her offspring in rank and file.
Meanwhile, the sun breaks through the clouds and makes the colorful autumn leaves of the birches sparkle, blowing in the wind. It looks nice, how the sunrays reflect in the pond. And there is a heavenly peace - perfect for stressed-out urbanites. On such a hike through nature, you can recharge your batteries.
Shortly after the pond the path leads into the forest again, and this time it's uphill. Large granite stones lie here between tall conifers. Their round shapes make them look like huge marbles. Some lie side by side, others in layers. For some, erosion grinded the stones so that they were only in a small place on the boulder below. They are easy to move and rightly bear their name "wobble stones".
Above it rises a wooden prospect, from which there is a beautiful panoramic view of the forest and heath landscape. Next to it is the shelter, built under Emperor Franz Josef I as a water reservoir. Today there is an exhibition on the formation of the Wackelsteine.
I go back to the pond and sit there for some time on a bench that is damp from the dew to get the mood around the water and in the autumnal To enjoy the sun a bit before I go back. A few quiet hours away from the hustle and bustle in the midst of nature - that is a stay in the Blockheide Gmünd in the Waldviertel of Austria.
For the night we recommend the great Castle Rosenau, Maybe you are interested in ours Hiking tip for Stift Lilienfeld and the Muckenkogel in Lower Austria? Or are you looking for ideas for Autumn decoration for outside?
Do you already know:
- Seeschloss Ort in Gmunden
- Waldviertel Austria
- Winter impressions from the Waldviertel
- Winter wellness in Austria
- Waldviertel holidays in Advent
- Gifts for hikers
Source: own research on site with a friendly invitation from Waldviertel Tourismus. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline