Wilhelm Doebler III. – Fourth generation in the Döbler brewery in Bad Windsheim
Beer had in Bad Windsheim and the surrounding area initially had a difficult time. The former free imperial city is actually in an area in which Wine always had played a big role. Beer has been proven to be brewed in this place since 1589. There are even real beer regions in Franconia. Bamberg calls itself beer capital. However, the area around Bad Windsheim is more dedicated to wine. According to the city chronicle, the monks of the Augustinian monastery were the first brewers in the city. However, the Döbler brewery in Bad Windsheim has been in operation for generations.
Bad Windsheim – a place where beer is made
It took until after the 30-year war for the people of Bad Windsheim to develop a taste for beer, because breweries only started to appear in and around Bad Windsheim from then on. There were said to be thirty in all, says the last of them, who still produces the Döbler brewery in his ancestors' brewery in the middle of the beautiful old town on the Kornmarkt. Wilhelm Doebler III. is proud of his family's tradition and shows us the picture of his great-grandfather Leonhard Döbler, who bought property 4 at Windsheimer Kornmarkt on November 1867, 466 and turned it into one of the most important breweries in the town.
Book your hotel in Bad Windsheim here
- Simple holiday apartments* can be rented at the Brauhaus Döbler.
- It offers friendly rooms Arvena Reichsstadt Hotel*
- Exceptionally you spend the night in Holiday home Christina* in Bad Windsheim. You can reserve free parking spaces.
- If you want to spend the night at the Franken Therme Bad Windsheim, you can do so, for example, in the Vital Hotel at the thermal baths* do. A bathrobe walk to the thermal baths is available, as is free parking.
- If you want a larger selection, you can here Hotels and accommodation in Bad Windsheim* to compare.
Leonhard Döbler put 17000 guilders on the table when he bought the property in the center of Bad Windsheim from Johann Reuthlingshöfer, which still houses the family's brewery, albeit modernized in the meantime. In front of the pretty building there are a few beer tables and beer benches on the town square, which is reminiscent of times gone by with its cobblestones and fountain.
Brewery tours through the brewery Döbler Bad Windsheim
Before you reach the brewery, which is located in the backyard of the building, you go through the cozy dining room. The home-made beer of the Döblers is still served there today. Wilhelm Döbler explains the differences between top-fermented and bottom-fermented beer. He also shows us the different types of beer he makes in his brewery. For example, did you know that beer can taste like ripe bananas, cloves, espresso or wild cherries? That was new to me.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in a camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Near Bad Windsheim is See Camping Obernzenn, Urphertshofer Str. 17, 91619 Obernzenn. But there are other campsites near Bad Windsheim. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill after a day trip .
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Beer tasting at the Döbler Bad Windsheim brewery
After a guided tour past the brew kettles in which the wort is produced, the beer vats and bottling plants, we deserve a good sip of Döbler beer. Of course we also want to get to know the different types of beer. There are quite a few of them: Altstadt Hell is the most popular beer from the Döbler brewery. The full-bodied Reichsstadt beer is naturally cloudy and was first brewed for the city's 850th anniversary. The Hefeweizen is a fruity wheat beer, the Pils is a specialty for Pils drinkers. On top of that there is the Land of Maerzen, the Museum Loeschauer, which is specially designed for Freilandmuseum in Bad Windsheim is produced, as is the Döbler Doppelbock, which, like the holiday beer, is only brewed at certain times of the year. Of course we can't try every type of beer, so we have a "Brättla" brought to us with a choice of four types of beer. Everyone grabs a glass and let's go.
Franconian specialties in the Döbler Bad Windsheim brewery
Since beer needs a good base, as is well known, the Döbler also has one Franconian specialties. We'll have a good time with a Franconian Brotzeitteller with various types of cheese and sausage, a lard sandwich, Franconian sausages and delicious smoked ham. What a cozy way to end a day in this region! Cheers and good health!
Brewery Döbler Bad Windsheim
91438 Bad Windsheim
Phone: 09841 / 2002
Arrival by plane, car or train
Arrival by plane, bus or train*. Lufthansa as well as other airlines fly to Nuremberg. From there it's 65 km further by rental car. It is also possible to travel by train to the train station Bad Windsheim.
Bad Windsheim hotels:
Do you already know:
- An interesting walk through Bad Windsheim
- How did the farmers once live in Franconia
- Excursion destinations Franconia
- Frankfurt's Green Sauce
- Gifts for travelers
- Buying a hiking backpack – what you should know before you buy it
- Wine hiking in Franconia
Tips on wine and drinks can be found at Wine tourism - wine regions.
Source: On-site research with the support of the KKT
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Video: © Copyright Petar Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline