Hike in the Sauerland on the Diemelsee circular route
On the Diemelsee Rundweg hiking, boating or cycling the Diemel cycle path are activities that are popular on this lake Hessen possible are. We're on the way in the middle in spring Germany.. Therefore we decide to take a boat trip. A fresh breeze blows towards us on our boat tour in the Sauerland on the Diemelsee. We use one of the first days of spring for a trip on this lake. The Sauerland at the Diemelsee is new territory for us. The lake is in the region of the Grimm-home.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- You can spend the night with your mobile home at this campsite, for example: Campsite in der Hege, Auf dem Knochen 3, 34519 Diemelsee. However, there are more campsites in the area. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill . You can also find Dutch oven accessories You can also find it here.
- Do you want to rent a mobile home? Then you will find information and a selection of booking options. Or do you prefer to travel with that instead? roof tent on the car? In addition, the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Be sure to check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You want to know where you can stay overnight in Germany Can you and are you looking for pitches and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
As soon as we get the highway north of Kassel leave, the route leads us through hilly landscapes and villages. Fachwerk is on the agenda here. Many of the farms are also beautifully renovated. The first shoots of the young plants are just beginning to emerge in the fields. Dandelion yellows the meadows and pastures. Then we discover cattle herds from time to time, which the fresh spring grass obviously tastes good. I can well imagine that the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm come from this region.
A Diemelsee hotel, perfect for hiking on the Diemelsee circular route
We spend two nights in the Seehotel am Diemelsee. In any case, this hotel is the perfect starting point to go hiking on the Diemelsee circular route and to explore its surroundings. The Sauerland am Diemelsee is a region that offers not only the reservoir but also many hiking trails over the hills and in the woods. Ideal for a short break. We're lucky with the weather. Therefore we use our day for a boat trip on the lake.
At the Diemeltalsperre
The lake was dammed to regulate the course of the water in the Diemel. However, electricity is not generated. Therefore, no power station disturbs the image of the lake. Only the dam rises above the Diemel valley. We pass it on our way to the large Diemeltalsperre car park. On the day of our visit, the MS Muffert starts from there three times a day for a one-hour round trip on the lake. She drives more often in summer. The nice weather tempts us to take a boat trip. And it's worth it!
Hike or go boating on the Diemelsee circular route
We are the only passengers around noon that day. What a luxury! We have the boat to ourselves and can take pictures and film without restriction. If you want, you can have the captain drop you off at the Itterarm pier and which hike back about four and a half kilometers to the departure point. A pleasant way to explore the Diemelsee. Because in its rear part the lake is a bird sanctuary, which the boat is not allowed to enter. This region is best explored on foot. We do the same and watch a flock of geese feeding in a meadow. Only a passing car startles them and they fly over our heads, chattering, towards the lake. There they disappear behind dense undergrowth and find protection from disturbing intruders. (Our tip: Use the Outdooractive maps offline as well Outdooractive Pro*.)
Hike on the Diemelsee circular route
With an altitude difference of 130 meters, the circular route around the Diemelsee is easy to walk. With a length of about 12,7 kilometers, this offers a pleasant hiking tour for a day. Pure hiking time is three hours. What you need to know about it:
- You follow the signs for H6.
- The easy hiking trail is suitable for the whole family. You can even go around the Diemelsee with a stroller on the circular route. Dogs are also allowed. On the way they find two dog beaches.
- It is best to start the hike on the Diemelsee circular route at the Diemelsee Tourist Information, Kirchstrasse 6, Heringhausen. There is a free car park there.
- Difference in altitude on the Diemelsee circular route along the lake: 130 meters uphill and downhill.
- The hike leads partly on tar roads, partly on unpaved paths.
- If you start the hike at the tourist information office and walk the path as follows: Tourist-Information Diemelsee> Seebrücke> Hohes Rad> Nature reserve> Large car park Helminghausen> Dam wall> Heringhausen, you can cover the last four kilometers from Helminghausen on the MS Muffert passenger ship.
- An Map and a detailed description of the hiking trail can be found here.
- There is a cocktail bar and a snack on the beach at the pier
- On the beach in Helminghausen you will find a snack, Fritten Jupp, the ferry house
- In Heringhausen you can eat in Göbel's Seehotel (see below for details), in the Diemelsteighütte, in the Café Fachwerk, in the Seeblick restaurant and in the Heringhausen lido
If you have more time, you can also hike through the forest landscapes of the Sauerland to one of the viewpoints above the lake. A beautiful one trail is the Diemelsteig, This has a total length of 63 kilometers, but of course you can also hike shorter sections. However, there are large differences in altitude to be overcome. If you are not afraid of an ascent of almost 300 meters, the 10,2 kilometer long is also for you Panorama a nice alternative with great views.
What you need for hiking on Diemelsee
- There are hiking trails of varying difficulty on the Diemelsee. You need it good hiking boots.
- There are only a few places to stop at the lake. So you need enough water picnic Accessories and snack in your lunch box, These are best brought in one backpack under.
- The water is best filled (and most sustainable) into a reusable one Metal drinking bottle *, It also withstands harder impacts.
- If you want to hike as comfortably as possible, it's worth it Hiking sticks to take with you. Here we recommend our favorites.
- At the lake, a thunderstorm can quickly raise even in summer. So it's best to grab one waterproof windbreaker .
- For orientation, it pays off, matching Map and information material * to take with you. You can also use the Diemelsteig long-distance hiking trail * hike.
- Check our hiking checklistwhether you have packed everything you need for your hike.
If you purchase via a link marked *, we receive a commission, which we use to run this blog.
Wellness & enjoyment in the SeaSpa of the Seehotel am Diemelsee
However, after our walk on the lake, we decide to have a massage in the SeaSpa of Göbel's Seehotel am Diemelsee. From a therapist I massage my tense facial muscles - a pleasant feeling after the fresh breeze on the lake. Under the circling movements of her warm hands my face warms up quickly after the day in the cool spring air. If you want, SeaSpa offers other great ways to be pampered.
What do you think of a flavor bath for two? Or a beauty treatment for the ladies? Those who have not had enough exercise for the day can also take a few laps in the pool overlooking the lake. Or in summer use the hotel's own floating dock for a swim in the Diemelsee.
Delicious food at the Seaside Restaurant in the Diemelsee Hotel am See
It's still too cool in April for that. Therefore we end our day with a dinner in the Seaside Restaurant of the Seehotel am Diemelsee. As a guest, you have the choice between an extensive evening buffet or a meal á la carte. The buffet is included in the price for half-board guests. We use the rich offer of the buffet and enjoy antipasti and a warm main meal. The desserts are so tempting that we couldn't do without them. Afterwards there is a nightcap in the lobby bar with a view of the lake. So we enjoy a successful end to our day in the Sauerland on the Diemelsee.
Those who prefer to plan their day independently of the restaurant opening times can now spend the night in cozy chalets on the mountainside above the hotel. The chalets were newly opened in 2017 and offer accommodation for two to four people. They are tastefully decorated. Some of them also offer a private sauna, which you can relax in after a Hike can recover. If you don't want to cook yourself after hiking on Lake Diemelsee, you can have your meals in the hotel restaurant instead.
The Göbel's Seehotel am Diemelsee is not only the ideal starting point for hiking on the Diemelsee, but also for a boat trip on the lake. You can also spend several days here to explore the beautiful surroundings of the lake and the Sauerland. Good food, pleasant accommodation and a great location on the lake make your stay a real pleasure. In the SeaSpa you can make your stay even more pleasant with a wellness treatment.
Göbel's Seehotel am Diemelsee *
Sea Road 17
Tel. 05633 99310
Other Hotels on Lake Diemelsee * here.
Parking at the airport
Arrival to go hiking on the Diemelsee circular route
Do you know this?
- More suggestions for Vacation in Germany by car here.
- Most beautiful hiking trails in southern Germany
- Hotel full of stories - the Seehotel Enzian am Weissensee
- Discover Carinthia travel destinations
- Bled at the Bled lake
- Gifts for hikers
- Tips for connoisseurs in Bad Wildungen
- Enjoy the wellness hotel in the Mostviertel
- Mesa Verde National Park hiking trails
Source: Research on site. We also thank you for the invitation at Göbel's Seehotel am Diemelsee. Our opinion, however, remains unaffected.
Text Hiking on Lake Diemelsee: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline