We get to know the city of Karlstadt am Main on a trip with the motorhome through the Wine region in Franconia know. It is one of the Wine towns on the Main, in which the wines of the region are celebrated at wine festivals. Camping in Karlstadt means spending the night on the banks of the Main. The old town is a short walk from the riverside campsite. The campsite is outside the city walls at the gates of the city. This is still entered through the city gates. We take a stroll through the city center and let us Franconian cuisine taste in one of the restaurants. But there is more to discover in the city and its surroundings.
Discover the idyllic Karlstadt am Main in peace and quiet, from there explore the varied surroundings and follow the Main again and again: The triad of city, country and river makes up the special charm of the Franconian wine country.
The city of Karlstadt am Main
The best way to get to know Karlstadt am Main itself is to take a guided tour. The highlights include the Romanesque-Gothic parish church, the historic town hall, the gates and towers of the city fortifications and the town houses with their half-timbered facades. There are many points of contact for Franconian cuisine, which offer both fine dishes and hearty dishes, to be tested. And one or two glasses of good Franconian wine should not be missing.
There is an open city tour for everyone
from May to October
Start: 11.55 a.m. in front of the Karlstadt Tourist Information, Hauptstrasse 56
Price: € 4,00 per person, children up to 14 years free
Duration: approx. 60 min.
suitable for wheelchair users
A popular meeting point is the “Lügenmäuerle” located behind the main gate, which can tell many stories right on the river. In the Karlstadt Museum, which is located in a building steeped in history from the 14th century, original wall paintings from the 2022th century can be seen from 16, including sayings and coats of arms of Franconian noble families.
The country around Karlstadt am Main
Although Stetten is a district of Karlstadt am Main, you still have to drive a few kilometers south from the old town to visit it. The “terroir f” vantage point is located 130 meters above the Main in the Stettener Stein vineyard. The panoramic view extends to after Würzburg and far into the Spessart. The region is good for one Hiking holiday on the Main. There is a network of paths that can be combined with hikes.
For many, a short vacation also includes a detour to a larger city with culture and shopping - no problem from Karlstadt am Main: The city of Würzburg with the UNESCO World Heritage Residence and the Marienberg Fortress is only 25 kilometers south. In the west one is quickly in Aschaffenburg with its castle Johannisburg, in the east in Schweinfurt, shaped by industry and art.
The river near Karlstadt
Karlstadt is also connected to the three cities by the Main. The river shapes the entire Franconian wine country. Around 3.500 winegrowers grow the famous Franconian wine, mainly along the Main, on an area of around 6.000 hectares. Anyone who follows the river from Karlstadt am Main - no matter in which direction - can stop off in many historic cities and romantic villages.
Eight reasons to visit Karlstadt am Main
- The Cityscape: The silhouette of the town and many historical building ensembles make guests love at first sight. The highlights include the Romanesque-Gothic town parish church, the historic town hall, the gates and towers of the town fortifications and the half-timbered houses.
- The "Lying Wall": Right behind the Maintor you can enjoy a pint or two of Franconian wine directly on the river on a small wall and with a view of the Karlsburg. Why lying walls? The best thing to do is to find out for yourself during a visit.
- The vistas: A beautiful view of Karlstadt is offered by the ruins of Karlsburg Castle, located high above the river on the other side of the Main. And in the Stettener Stein vineyard, the “terroir f” vantage point is 130 meters above the Main. The panoramic view extends to Würzburg and far into the Spessart. In 2020, the vantage point was awarded the "Most beautiful wine view in Franconia".
- The nature: Around Karlstadt there are numerous nature reserves, the vegetation offers plants and animals a good habitat. One of the nature reserves borders on the "Saupurzel", the local mountain of Karlstadt, which towers over the town.
- The culture: The event calendar is packed to the brim all year round. "Music in historic houses and courtyards", "Culinary Mile" and "Karlstadter Kultur-Häppli" are the names of a series of events that are scheduled to take place again in 2022 in their tried and tested form. In the spring of 2022, the Karlstadt Museum will also reopen after loving restoration. The historic building dates back to the 14th century.
- The culinary: Franconian cuisine has both fine dishes and hearty dishes to offer. In Karlstadt there are numerous opportunities to enjoy them.
- The wine: The landscape of the Franconian wine country produces unmistakable wines like the Silvaner.
- Main: Coming from Würzburg, it flows directly past Karlstadt and is the lifeline of the region. You can experience it on a boat trip or a tour on the Main Cycle Path.
Do you want to go camping in Karlstadt?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campersto see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Karlstadt Camping is possible here: Camping site Karlstadt am Main, Baggertsweg 6, 97753 Karlstadt. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven on the portable grill or maybe on that Campfire prepare your dinner. From here it is only a few steps to the old town.
- You want to know where to go with a motorhome stay overnight in Germany can and are you looking for parking spaces and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
You need that for a hike near Karlstadt am Main
- Pack your backpack with ours Packing list hiking. Then you are guaranteed to have everything you need on the go.
- Comfortable Walking shoes for wide feetwhere you can walk well even on rough paths
- A backpack is definitely practical for everything you need on the go.
- The region offers beautiful photo opportunities. Therefore you should have yours Camera .
- Are you looking for other equipment for hikers?
- Around Würzburg: hiking in vineyards, forests and by the water.* 42 tours. These include hikes near Karlstadt.
Arrival by plane, car, bus and train
Rent mobile homes for camping in Karlstadt am Main:
Accommodation in Karlstadt am Main:
Accommodation for online booking is also available in Karlstadt am Main * via Booking.com.
Click on the photo and make a note of Karlstadt am Main on Pinterest
Do you already know:
- Wine region Franconia by camper
- 5 Places for a Wine Weekend in the Main Valley
- Water features in Kassel
- Kassel sights
- Excursion destinations Franconia
- Top attraction in Germany: the Main
- Take a vacation on the Main in Miltenberg
- 16 tips for beginners on a houseboat tour on the Mayenne
- Camping Waging am See in Chiemgau
- Camping at the Chiemsee - Here you will find campsites
- Gifts for campers and motorhomes
- Ochsenfurt sights
- Most beautiful cities on the Rhine
- Cool backpacks for city trips
Source: On-site research and djd / Karlstadt
Text Karlstadt am Main: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline and djd
Photos Karlstadt © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline and djd / Stadt Karlstadt