Experience the Loferer Alm huts
You can experience the Loferer Alm huts and the Loferer Steinberge with one Austria holiday ideally with the Saalachtal summer card. You can use it to organize a holiday in Austria for slow travelers. We are guests at the family and vitality hotel Mühlpointhof in Lofer Salzburg country. We want to find out how Slow Traveler and gourmet Explore the region best. Walks, beautiful views and enjoyment are what we are looking for. Lofer is not stingy with that. The mountains quickly show their highlights. We travel to Bad Reichenhall. Behind the village, the path leads us through the Chiemgau Alps. Shortly after Schneizlreuth we pass the border to Austria. Then it is only a few kilometers, until we get our first glimpse of the Loferer Steinberge catch.
The Loferer Steinberge
Suddenly they appear at the end of the valley. Three mountain peaks that tower above all the surrounding ones. Breathtaking! Grandiose! Wow! That immediately comes to mind when I see her. There is still snow on the ridges at the end of May. However, we learn at the hotel that this is unusual for the season. Usually the snow has already disappeared at the end of May. The three peaks can only be reached on foot. On these hiking tours, differences in height between 1200 and 1900 meters have to be overcome. Not for us. Since we don't plan day hikes or mountain tours, the snow doesn't bother us. On the contrary. I can't take pictures of the mountains enough. For our excursions, however, we are interested in more easily accessible peaks such as Loferer Alm.
- Find yours Holiday home in Lofer *
- Discover yours Holiday apartment in Lofer *
- Book yours Pension in Lofer *
- Holidays on the farm in Lofer and the surrounding area *
The Loferer Alm huts
The Almenwelt Lofer is just the thing for hiking in Austria. At check-in at the hotel, we receive the Saalachtal Summer Card in addition to our room key. This means that we can take the mountain railway to the Loferer Alm huts and back once a day for free. More precisely, we reach a hiking area with a large selection of hiking trails. Two gondola lifts connect Lofer with the alpine pastures. What is a popular ski area in winter turns out to be a varied hiking region in the summer months. There are numerous circular hiking trails of all levels of difficulty. Families with children can hike safely on the well-developed trails. And if you like to combine your hike with a snack or a snack with a view, you will find several managed huts on the Almenwelt.
Rent Loferer Alm huts
- Im Müllerkaser* you can stay overnight in a Loferer Alm hut on a weekly basis. Free parking incl.
Book yours Rental car here*
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- The closest campsite to Lofer is at the Grubhof. There are other campsites in the area. In the evening you can relax in one Dutch Oven a meal on the Campfire prepare. Dutch oven accessories here.
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information here as well as booking options. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in a camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Austria has a comprehensive network of campsites, there are parking spaces in all parts of the country. Outside of camping and parking spaces, you can stay overnight for a maximum of one night. But be careful: there are regional bans (Tyrol, Vienna). Camping Guide for Austria * you can buy it here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Lofer Alm hiking
You can hike well on the Loferer Alm. We present a selection of hikes here.
Circular hikes on the Loferer Alm from the mountain station of the Almbahn II:
We walk through the green alpine meadows. The dandelions are still blooming here at the end of May, the dandelions of which have already disappeared in the valley. A mountain stream ripples past yellow marigolds and forget-me-nots. Bumblebees and bees fly from flower to flower collecting their nectar. This is how we extend spring in the mountains. You can explore these paths more closely, take your time, have a picnic in the backpack take it with you and enjoy it on the alpine meadows of the Loferer Alm.
Easy circular hiking trails on the Loferer Alm:
- Soderkaser-Almsee-Runde (40 min - 1,7 km, ascent and descent about 20 m)
- Haus Gertraud-Runde (45 min - 1,8 km, ascent and descent approx. 81 m)
- Schönblick round (1,25 hours - 3,3 km, up and down about 127 m)
Moderate trails on the Loferer Alm:
- Märchenwald-Runde / Marble Lake (2,5 hours - 5 km, ascent and descent approx. 320 m)
- Kechtalm Round (2 hours - 3,6 km)
- with Schwarzeck panoramic views (2,5 hours - 4,7 km)
More difficult peaks and circular hikes on the Loferer Alm:
- Grubhörndl Round (3 hours - 6 km)
- Thallernalm Round (3,5 hours - 7,8 km)
- with Dietrichshorn (5 hours)
You should take this with you on a trip to the Loferer Alm:
- A backpackwhere you can put everything for one day on the Loferer Alm.
- A Water bottle *, because a hike makes you thirsty.
- What you for that picknick on the alpine meadows, you can put yourself together here. One Lunch box with board we recommend here.
- A light rain jacket, In the mountains, the weather can change quickly.
- Feasts hiking bootsthat provide support for the joints. That's how it gets easier.
- A Binoculars*with which you can look for mountaineers, marmots or eagles.
- A Cameraso you can enjoy the experiences on the Loferer Alm even at home.
- In our hiking checklist you can check whether you have packed everything for your hike.
Bergklammen in the Saalachtal
The Saalachtal Sommercard also gives you free access to the Seisenbergklamm gorge and the Vorderkaserklamm gorge. Both are spectacular ravines in which streams dig their way through hard rock. If the sun burns too intensely from the sky in summer, they offer refreshment and coolness. You can walk through boardwalks and stairs. The Vorderkaseralm lies between Sankt Martin and Weißbach near Lofer, the Seisenbergklamm is near Weißbach. Both gorges are also good for a family outing with children.
If that's not refreshing enough for a hot summer's day, then the Saalachtal Card also gives you free access to the Steinbergbad in Lofer or to the Alpenbad in Unken.
What does the Saalachtal Sommercard offer?
We are not on site long enough to take full advantage of the Saalachtal Card. If you like to hike and enjoy the outdoors, you can spend a week full of variety on your own, with no additional costs for cable cars or entry fees. The Map for yourself is free if you stay at a hotel in Lofer, It is valid during your entire stay. So if you stay in a Loferer Hotel for a week, you can travel to the Loferer Alm every day and hike, or use one of the other (free with the card) offers.
In addition to these, the card includes various discount offers with which you can visit other sights at low cost. These include the mining and Gothic museum in Leogang, the Salzburg open-air museum, the Lamprechtshöhle, the Leogang mountain railways and more.
All inclusive at the Hotel Mühlpointhof in Lofer
We use them during our two-day stay at the family and vital hotel Mühlpointhof in Lofer. We are invited to get to know the hotel and the Loferer Alm. This hotel offers all-inclusive packages, which include breakfast, a snack or coffee and cake from the in-house bakery in the afternoon and a four-course dinner. We rarely stay in all-inclusive hotels because we like to get to know the regional cuisine in the inns and restaurants. In the Mühlpointhof, however, it quickly becomes clear to me how practical - and how price-saving - such an all-inclusive package can be.
This makes a hiking holiday on the Loferer Alm an inexpensive pleasure
At the breakfast buffet I notice a note on the wall above the bread basket, which prompts us to make sausage bread for a picnic. The hotel even offers us to fill our water or thermos bottles with cold or warm drinks. This service is included in the price. With this and with the meals already mentioned and the Saalachtal card, we can practically spend a holiday of several days in Lofer and the Loferer Alm, where we do not have to expect any extra costs apart from the price for the overnight stay and the journey.
Relax in the hotel
After an active day in the mountains I usually wish nothing more than to be pampered with wellness. At the Familien- und Vitalhotel Mühlpointhof, this is possible in the sauna area, in the outdoor pool or in the relaxation area reserved for adults. Here you can relax with a view of the Loferer Steinberge. Or you book a massage to get your muscles back on track after a hiking day on the Loferer Alm.
With these tips and recommendations you can put together your slow travel trip to the Saalachtal and the Loferer Alm huts. Let us know in the comments when you discover opportunities and destinations in the region.
With this contribution we participate in the blog parade “Excursion destinations for the weekend“Of the WellSpaPortal.
Slow travel destinations and experiences in the Salzburg region:
Do you already know:
- Ottawa Winterlude
- Ottawa Winterlude hotels
- Freshly smoked trout and char from the Chiemsee fisherman
- Finance Holiday - Travel Blogger Tips
Source Loferer Alm Hütten: research on site.
We would like to thank 50plus Hotels and the Familien- und Vitalhotel Mühlpointhof for the invitation and support of this research.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Videos: © Copyright Petar Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline