Gardens on the Mayenne in France
If you want to rent a houseboat on the Mayenne in France, make time for the villages along the way. Flower villages - that's what Michel promised us when he picked us up from the airport in Nantes our houseboat tour on the Mayenne. And he was right! We encountered flowers not only in the villages and small towns along the river, and not only in gardens. Almost every lock we passed was beautifully decorated with flowers. And the mills and bridges we passed on our way from Daon to Laval offered pretty views: old stones and buildings are much prettier with floral decorations.
The highlight for us garden fans were the gardens of Château-Gontier, which even has several themed gardens. In France, the most beautiful gardens are awarded prizes every year. In 2010, the gardens of Château-Gontier received the Fleur d'Or, winning this competition among the floral villages of France. We took a closer look at these gardens. See for yourself:
Mayenne France - The garden at the Square de Frome in Château-Gontier
The garden at Square de Frome is located on the central traffic island in Château-Gontier and can not be missed from the jetty on the Mayenne. Here you come over on the way to the city center.
The medieval garden at Château-Gontier on the Mayenne in France
Directly opposite the central boat jetty in Château-Gontier is the medieval garden with its raised beds and shady arches, which provide pleasant coolness in the summer heat.
The fragrance garden in Château-Gontier on the Mayenne in France
Right next to it is the scented garden, which doesn't come up with as colorful flowers as the other gardens of the city on the Mayenne in France. Our hands smell all the more intensively afterwards, because you have to touch and smell this garden in order to experience it with all your senses.
More gardens at Château-Gontier on the Mayenne in France
There are other gardens in Château-Gontier, but for all our time was not enough. These are:
- The gardens on the Promenade de Murrhardt
- The Jardins of the Ursuline and the Jardin italien
- The Jardin de la piscine
- Jardin rue des Trois Moulins and
- The Jardin du bout du monde
And how do you like the gardens on the Mayenne? By the way, they are also very beautiful Gardens of the painter Monet in Giverny.
Information for houseboat trips can be found here:
Rent a houseboat - this is how a houseboat vacation works
By houseboat on the Mayenne
A few tips on what you should consider as a beginner with the houseboat on the Mayenne:
16 tips for beginners on a houseboat tour on the Mayenne
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection here Booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car?
- Check with our packing list for camperswhether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- In Château Gontier you can stay at Camping du Parc, 15 Laval Rd, 53200 Château-Gontier-sur-Mayenne, France. But there are other campsites on the Mayenne in France. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven on the portable grill to prepare your dinner.
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
Travel tips from travel bloggers
- Antje from Delicious Travel introduces Bordeaux as New Place to Be in France before.
Do you already know:
- France travel destinations
- In a houseboat on the Saone in Franche Comtè
- Gardens and parks
- Camargue France
- Nile cruise
Source: On-site research. We would like to thank Tourisme Mayenne in France for the invitation. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline