Moselle tour around Alf on the Moselle
One day is available for our Moselle tour around Alf on the Moselle in Rhineland-Palatinate. Therefore, we limit ourselves to the immediate vicinity of Alf. We stay there in Bömers Mosellandhotel, a small flair hotel. We go on a Moselle tour in a convertible with the hotel owner. We spend the rest of the day on a Moselle tour in the car and drive to Zell and Bad Bertrich. These places are easy to reach from Alf.
Moselle tour in a convertible through Alf and the surrounding area
The place lies in the middle Moselle valley on the narrowest loop of the river. Our Moselle tour in a convertible takes us on the quayside from Alf to Pünderich. That is almost thirteen kilometers. Seen from the air, the two places are only 400 meters apart. This Moselle loop is called "Zeller Hamm". The two river sections are separated by a ridge. This does not make a quick connection between the locations possible. This mood of nature is perfect for great views.
You have to hike from Alf to the Prinzenkopf. The way there leads up a steep stretch. You will be rewarded with a view of the narrowest loop of the Moselle. This is just one of the many hiking trails that we can choose from.
Moselle tour in a convertible through the vineyards
Since we want to see even more in the short time, we go on a Moselle tour in a convertible with Sonja Gleißner, the owner of the hotel. It shows us places with a view of the Moselle. It's time for a glass from Bahnhof-Schoppen. Sonja shows us the small chapel, which in the middle of the vineyards above Alf serves the winemakers of the region to pray for good weather and a profitable harvest. From here we have a beautiful view of the village of Alf directly below us in the valley.
Arras Castle - a destination of our Moselle tour
On the narrow gravel road, Sonja turns the convertible skilfully and leaves the town in the direction of Bad Bertrich, only to turn left a few hundred meters to go steeply uphill on a winding and narrow forest path. “You definitely have to see Arras Castle. They don't even know some of the residents of Alf, but it's so beautiful that I don't want to withhold it from you. ”Says it, and drives around the last bend with verve, where she stops the convertible in a small parking lot in front of the open castle gates brings.
Courtyard, torture chamber and knight's hall
We are enthusiastic about Arras Castle, which defiantly watches over the Moselle valley, from which the car noises from the embankment can hardly be heard. Petar and I take a closer look at the courtyard with its restaurant terrace and discover the old torture chamber that belongs to the castle museum. We take a look into the knight's hall, in which real knight armor reminds of the time of the robber barons who were once up to mischief here. Today, however, the long table is set with fine dishes for a robber baron meal that is planned for tomorrow. The castle can be booked for all kinds of private events, and weddings are especially romantic in this setting. There are also a couple of hotel rooms where you can feel like a damsel for a while.
Hiking trails around Alf ad Mosel
To do this, you need to know most of these Walking start in Bullay or go through Bullay. The place is located across from Alf on the other bank of the Moselle and can be reached by ferry. Some Hiking You can also take a Moselle tour by car.
- The Moselle winter hike from Reil to Bullay: 8,1 km, 2:45 hours, ascent 210 m, descent 185 m, difficulty: easy. Further information
- You can also start this circular walk through the Moselle valley in Alf: 15,6 km, 4:04 hours, ascent 137 m, descent 130 m. Further information
- Two castles tour: 11,4 km, 4:22 hours, ascent: 554 m, descent 554 m Further information
- Around Reil: 13,4 km, 3:30 hours, ascent 338 m, descent 338 m. Further information
- The Moselhöhenweg and Moselsteig Trail from Kövenig to Bullay: 17,3 km, 5:24 hours, ascent: 372 m, descent: 353 m. Further information
- Bullay - Neef - Sankt Aldegund - Alf: 17,8 km, 5:08 hours, ascent: 447 m, descent: 453 m. Further information
- Bullay - Neef - Sollig - Alf - Bullay: 19 km, 5:44 hours, ascent: 576 m, descent: 581 m. Further information
Zell - Weinort and the Zeller Schwarze Katz '
Before our convertible tour through the Alf area, we use the day for a Moselle tour by car into the wider area. Only about six kilometers away from Alf is the town of Zell, which is known to wine lovers because of the Riesling that is grown in the vineyards above the town: the Zeller Schwarze Katz '. Therefore, on our stroll through the pedestrian zone of Zell we meet the black cat again and again: on menus, as a wine bottle, as a pub or hotel sign and very large as a sign in the vineyards behind Zell, where the vines are grown. A “Celtic Black Cat” is even offered on the drinks menu in the local Irish pub. Guinness is secondary there.
Wine hiking trail Zeller Schwarze Katz '
The "Zeller Schwarze Katz" wine hiking trail begins at the town hall, where we can find out more about winegrowing in Zell. Over a length of three kilometers, we follow the cat tracks that show us the direction and learn interesting facts about viticulture in Zell, the wine situation of the "Zeller Schwarze Katz", the "Saufbähnchen", the dry stone walls and other finesse of the winegrowing in the region. If you like, you can climb the Collis steep path to the Colli tower (via ferrata included). However, we like it more comfortable and prefer to go down to the Moselle, where we watch the ships leisurely going up and down the river from one of the banks on the riverside.
That has to be in the Case, are you planning a hike
- Comfortable shoeswith which you can also walk over uneven terrain. There are beautiful hiking trails that lead through rough terrain.
- A backpackby taking your gear with you for a day. A picknick with a view of the Moselle you can plan your hike well here.
- In summer you need one Hat that protects against the sun. The vineyards for hiking are on the sunny side of the valley.
- Did you pack everything for a hike? With our Hiking checklist you can easily check that.
Marienburg - a detour on our Moselle tour
On the way back to Alf we make a detour to Marienburg, a former monastery located on the crest of the hill that separates the Moselle loop. Today it houses a youth training center. From the top of the hill you have a beautiful view of the arms of the Moselle, which flow along both sides of the hill.
Do you prefer to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection here Booking options.
- Check with our Packing list camperwhether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You want to know where to go with a motorhome stay overnight in Germany can and are you looking for parking spaces and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
Bad Bertrich - a gem for wellness lovers
Because we still have time, we leave Alf and the Moselle valley and drive a few kilometers north to Bad Bertrich, where, as we were told in the hotel, we can use the wellness offers of the thermal baths. However, since the sun is already so warm from the sky on this first spring day, we decide to do without hot baths and prefer to enjoy a cup of Lavazza coffee in the center of the seaside resort Bad Bertrich, the view of the aging Parkhotel and the facades the bathing architecture along the main street and watch the passers-by as they enjoy - like us - the first warm rays of the spring sun.
You need that for a stay in the thermal bath
Other destinations on the Moselle
- Make your trip to a Moselle weekend with wine tasting. You can book this here. *
- On the Moselle bike path you can experience your Moselle tour by bike. You can find information here.
- Experience your Moselle tour by car, motorcycle or camper on the Moselle slate road
- A Moselle tour by boat from Cochem is also nice. You can book them here. *
- Good food, wine and the Mosel - enjoy life in Luxembourg
A perfect weekend on the Moselle! Alf and the surrounding area have convinced us and the Moselle will surely see us again.
We stayed in this Flair hotel. From there you can go on excursions with the hotel's own convertible.
Ferdinand Remy Street 27
56859 Alf on the Mosel
further information, current availability query and convenient online booking*
So we experienced the Bömers Mosellandhotel
By the way:
- You can Enjoy the Moselle well in Luxembourg.
- And do you already know Koblenzwhere the Moselle meets the Rhine?
- Go on vacation on the Moselle
- What do you have to see in and around Koblenz?
Source: own research on site with a friendly invitation from Flair Hotels
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline