Moselle tour around Alf on the Moselle
One day is available for our Moselle tour around Alf on the Moselle in Rheinland-Pfalz. Therefore, we limit ourselves to the immediate vicinity of Alf. We stay there in Bömers Mosellandhotel, a small flair hotel. We go on a Moselle tour in a convertible with the hotel owner. We spend the rest of the day on a Moselle tour in the car and drive to Zell and Bad Bertrich. These places are easy to reach from Alf.
Moselle tour in a convertible through Alf and the surrounding area
The place lies in the middle Moselle valley on the narrowest loop of the river. Our Moselle tour in a convertible takes us on the quayside from Alf to Pünderich. That is almost thirteen kilometers. Seen from the air, the two places are only 400 meters apart. This Moselle loop is called "Zeller Hamm". The two river sections are separated by a ridge. This does not make a quick connection between the locations possible. This mood of nature is perfect for great views.
You have to hike from Alf to the Prinzenkopf. The way there is a steep climb uphill. You will be rewarded with a view of the narrowest loop of the Moselle. This is just one of the many hiking trails that we have to choose from.
Moselle tour in a convertible through the vineyards
Since we want to see even more in the short time, we go on a Moselle tour in a convertible with Sonja Gleißner, the owner of the hotel. It shows us places with a view of the Moselle. It's time for a glass from Bahnhof-Schoppen. Sonja shows us the small chapel, which in the middle of the vineyards above Alf serves the winemakers of the region to pray for good weather and a profitable harvest. From here we have a beautiful view of the village of Alf directly below us in the valley.
Arras Castle - a destination of our Moselle tour
On the narrow gravel road, Sonja turns the convertible skilfully and leaves the town in the direction of Bad Bertrich, only to turn left a few hundred meters to go steeply uphill on a winding and narrow forest path. “You definitely have to see Arras Castle. They don't even know some of the residents of Alf, but it's so beautiful that I don't want to withhold it from you. ”Says it, and drives around the last bend with verve, where she stops the convertible in a small parking lot in front of the open castle gates brings.
Courtyard, torture chamber and knight's hall
We are enthusiastic about Arras Castle, which defiantly watches over the Moselle valley, from which the car noises from the embankment can hardly be heard. Petar and I take a closer look at the courtyard with its restaurant terrace and discover the old torture chamber that belongs to the castle museum. We take a look into the knight's hall, in which real knight armor reminds of the time of the robber barons who were once up to mischief here. Today, however, the long table is set with fine dishes for a robber baron meal that is planned for tomorrow. The castle can be booked for all kinds of private events, and weddings are especially romantic in this setting. There are also a couple of hotel rooms where you can feel like a damsel for a while.
Hiking trails around Alf ad Mosel
To do this, you need to know most of these Walking start in Bullay or go through Bullay. The place is located across from Alf on the other bank of the Moselle and can be reached by ferry. Some hiking trails You can also take a Moselle tour by car.
- The Moselle winter hike from Reil to Bullay: 8,1 km, 2:45 hours, ascent 210 m, descent 185 m, difficulty: easy. Further information
- You can also start this circular walk through the Moselle valley in Alf: 15,6 km, 4:04 hours, ascent 137 m, descent 130 m. Further information
- Two castles tour: 11,4 km, 4:22 hours, ascent: 554 m, descent 554 m Further information
- Around Reil: 13,4 km, 3:30 hours, ascent 338 m, descent 338 m. Further information
- The Moselhöhenweg and Moselsteig Trail from Kövenig to Bullay: 17,3 km, 5:24 hours, ascent: 372 m, descent: 353 m. Further information
- Bullay - Neef - Sankt Aldegund - Alf: 17,8 km, 5:08 hours, ascent: 447 m, descent: 453 m. Further information
- Bullay - Neef - Sollig - Alf - Bullay: 19 km, 5:44 hours, ascent: 576 m, descent: 581 m. Further information
- Our tip: Use the Outdooractive maps offline as well Outdooractive Pro*.
Zell - Weinort and the Zeller Schwarze Katz '
Before our convertible tour through the Alf area, we use the day for a Moselle tour by car into the wider area. Only about six kilometers away from Alf is the town of Zell, which is known to wine lovers because of the Riesling that is grown in the vineyards above the town: the Zeller Schwarze Katz '. Therefore, on our stroll through the pedestrian zone of Zell we meet the black cat again and again: on menus, as a wine bottle, as a pub or hotel sign and very large as a sign in the vineyards behind Zell, where the vines are grown. A “Celtic Black Cat” is even offered on the drinks menu in the local Irish pub. Guinness is secondary there.
Wine hiking trail Zeller Schwarze Katz '
The "Zeller Schwarze Katz" wine hiking trail begins at the town hall, where we can find out more about winegrowing in Zell. Over a length of three kilometers, we follow the cat tracks that show us the direction and learn interesting facts about viticulture in Zell, the wine situation of the "Zeller Schwarze Katz", the "Saufbähnchen", the dry stone walls and other finesse of the winegrowing in the region. If you like, you can climb the Collis steep path to the Colli tower (via ferrata included). However, we like it more comfortable and prefer to go down to the Moselle, where we watch the ships leisurely going up and down the river from one of the banks on the riverside.
That has to be in the suitcase, are you planning a hike
- Comfortable shoeswith which you can also walk over uneven terrain. There are beautiful hiking trails that lead through rough terrain.
- A backpackby taking your gear with you for a day. A picnic with a view of the Moselle you can plan your hike well here.
- In summer you need one hat that protects against the sun. The vineyards for hiking trails are on the sunny side of the valley.
- Did you pack everything for a hike? With our hiking checklist you can easily check that.
Marienburg - a detour on our Moselle tour
On the way back to Alf we make a detour to Marienburg, a former monastery located on the crest of the hill that separates the Moselle loop. Today it houses a youth training center. From the top of the hill you have a beautiful view of the arms of the Moselle, which flow along both sides of the hill.
Do you prefer to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Or do you prefer to travel with a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You want to know where you can stay overnight in Germany and are you looking for parking spaces for RVs and campsites? You can find information about this under this link. There you can prepare your dinner in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill . You can also find Dutch oven accessories can be found here.
Bad Bertrich - a gem for wellness lovers
Because we still have time, we leave Alf and the Moselle valley and drive a few kilometers north to Bad Bertrich, where, as we were told at the hotel, we can use the spa facilities of the thermal baths. However, since the sun is already shining so warmly from the sky on this first day of spring, we decide to forego hot baths and prefer to enjoy a cup of Lavazza coffee in the center of the bathing resort of Bad Bertrich, the view of the aging Parkhotel and the facades the resort architecture along the main street and watch the passers-by enjoying the first warm rays of the spring sun – like us.
You need that for a stay in the thermal bath
- swimsuit or swimming trunks* for the swimming pool
- A Bathrobe* for the wellness area
- Non-slip slippers *
- A Bath towel*
- A Beach bag * for your bathing suit
Other destinations on the Moselle
- Make your trip to a Moselle weekend with wine tasting. You can book this here. *
- On the Moselle bike path you can experience your Moselle tour by bike. You can find information here.
- Experience your Moselle tour by car, motorcycle or camper on the Moselle slate road
- Good food, wine and the Mosel - enjoy life in Luxembourg
A perfect weekend on the Moselle! Alf and the surrounding area have convinced us and the Moselle will surely see us again.
We stayed at this Flair Hotel. From there you can also go on excursions with the hotel's own convertible.
Ferdinand Remy Street 27
56859 Alf on the Mosel
Information, availability check and online booking*
So we experienced the Bömers Mosellandhotel
Travel organization of your Moselle tour
Arrival by plane, bus or train*. There are flights to Frankfurt . It is also possible to travel from there by train. Alternatively, you can travel by rental car.
Rental car for your Moselle tour
Reserve your rental car here *.
Campsites on the Moselle
Find a large selection of Campsites on the Moselle* can be found here. Camping on the Moselle directly on the water you can reserve here.
Do you also know:
- You can Enjoy the Moselle well in Luxembourg.
- And do you already know Koblenzwhere the Moselle meets the Rhine?
- Go on vacation on the Moselle
- What do you have to see in and around Koblenz?
- Discover castles on the Moselle
Source: own research on site with the kind invitation of Flair Hotels. However, our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline