Discover Ochsenfurt sights in Franconia
The medieval town of Ochsenfurt is one of the most beautiful half-timbered towns in the Main triangle. Here you can go on vacation in a wine region of Germany. The city is located between Würzburg and Kitzingen directly on the banks of the Main and was first mentioned in 725. Many Ochsenfurt sights go back to the Middle Ages. It is also one of the most beautiful half-timbered places that we have on our Motorhome trip along the Main to get to know. Ochsenfurts Old Town is completely surrounded by the city wall with its watchtowers. With its half-timbered houses, the medieval city puts its visitors back in time.
The medieval town Ochsenfurt - timbered beauty on the Main
This medieval flair of the city in Franken creates a nostalgic atmosphere. The first thing we see on our walk through Ochsenfurt is a well-kept vintage car coming towards us through the main shopping street. As we stand still, he hardly impresses passers-by. Few of the pedestrians turn to look at him. In any case, a sight like this seems to be the order of the day.
The vehicle perfectly matches the backdrop of the half-timbered buildings and wrought-iron shop signs that line the streets of the old town of Ochsenfurt. An elderly man tugs Petar's arm, who is holding his video camera in the other direction. So he draws his attention to the classic car. A middle-aged man is sitting inside. "Now all that is missing is a pretty companion in fringe dress with a cigarette in the cigarette holder," I think to myself. The cigarette is missing, but an elegant lady is sitting next to him.
On a weekday at the market square of Ochsenfurt
At the central square in the center, a half-timbered house joins the next. Painted in color, they turn the center of the city into a real eye-catcher. Some also have covered tables for lunch or a cup of coffee. Waiters whiz around between the tables to satisfy the wishes of the morning guests. Franconian specialties are guaranteed to have them on offer.
The warm spring sun finally invites us to follow the hustle and bustle in the street cafes from a park bench. However, there is little going on at the town square on this weekday in May. A few morning guests take a late breakfast in the cafes on the market square. From our bench on the elevated terrace in front of St. Andrew's Church, we can also observe how a group of elderly gentlemen talking animatedly. A lady with a bulging shopping bag joins them and then goes on with one of the gentlemen. To the right of us, a young passerby and her mother admire the roughly hewn statue of St. George, who kills the dragon from his imposing horse.
Since the spring temperatures are still quite fresh despite the sun, we leave our park bench and follow the road to the town hall. 1497 was completed. With its red façade and shingle-clad tower, it dominates this end of the marketplace. A group of cyclists are arriving via the road that leads into the city to the right. Maybe they are on the main bike path following the course of the river? They finally stop in front of the town hall and look for a table in a restaurant. Obviously she was charmed by the sight of the half-timbered houses and encouraged to rest.
On narrow streets through the medieval town of Ochsenfurt
However, it is still too early for a lunch. In addition, we had seen on the way into the city a pizzeria with a terrace directly on the banks of the Main, which lures us. Therefore we turn into Badgasse. This is one of the alleys that lead from the market square down to the Main. Past the Weinstube Fröhlich and the Klosterbräu Stuben, from which it smells seductive, we go down to Spitalgasse. Their houses adjoin the city walls that surround the old town of Ochsenfurt.
Here we find the Kreuzkirche, whose interior remains closed to us. Worth seeing, however, is the late Gothic tympanum with scenes from the life of St. Elisabeth over the portal. Right next to the church is the hospital and the court of honor from before 1400. At the beginning, lepers were housed there. Later it served as a home for the aged and infirm. This function retained it until the middle of the 19. Century. Religious then took over the administration and used the buildings for children in their care. Since 1990 the property belongs to the city Ochsenfurt.
Pizza with a view of the Main in Ochsenfurt
Past the traditional costume museum we finally go to the main terrace of the Gasthof Krone. Here we sit next to train tracks, over which we have a view of the Main. While we wait for our pizza, container ships pass us. They transport their goods in the direction of Würzburg. On the other hand, we have a good view of the city walls and some of the watchtowers. If the pizza was not an experience, our restaurant choice was still worth it for the views. In addition to the terrace, the Main Bridge leads across the river. However, we follow the course of the river in the direction of Würzburg.
That must be in the for the visit to Ochsenfurt suitcase
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- In Ochsenfurt there is a free mobile home parking space, Mainuferstraße, 97199 Ochsenfurt. However, there are no service facilities there. There are other campsites in the area. There you can have your dinner after a day trip in a Dutch Oven on one portable grill or maybe on a campfire prepare. You can also find Dutch oven accessories can be found here.
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information here as well as booking options. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- More information about Parking spaces and campsites in Germany can be found here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Parking at the airport
Arrival by plane, car, bus and train
Book Motorhomes in Europe here! * There is also a parking lot on the banks of the Main (Mainuferstraße), where mobile homes can also park. With our Motorhome packing list You'll never forget anything again.
Accommodations in the region:
Accommodation for online booking is also available in Ochsenfurt * via Booking.com.
What else is there to discover in Franconia?
- Tour through the Franconian wine country for connoisseurs and pleasure hikers
- Wine hiking in Franconia
- Wine and cuisine in Würzburg: A trip for connoisseurs
- Wine hotels in Franconia – a selection
- How did the farmers once live in Franconia?
- Franconian cuisine tastes delicious
- Bad Kissingen Attractions for Slow Travelers
- Garden splendor in Veitshöchheim
- 5 wine places for a wine weekend in the Main Valley
- Wine experience in the wine cellar in Sommerach
- Fancy a Roadtrip on the Route of Delights?
- Amazing architecture in the winery brain
- Ways to wine in Würzburg
- Miltenberg, the half-timbered city on the Main
- Tips for a weekend in Würzburg
- Good pizza and pasta at the Italian in Victoria
Do you already know:
- Gifts for travelers
- Knight's dinner in the castle Lockenhaus
- Advent in Salzburg
- Good pizza and pasta at the Italian in Victoria
- Bake pizza in the mobile home
Source: own research on site. We thank you Franconian wine country for the support of this trip and at the Company Knaus for the campervan that was provided for this trip. However, our opinion remains as our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline