The spa architecture of Binz experience as once
We wanted to know more about the stories in the Baltic Sea resort of Binz and the human fate that took place behind the scenes in these villas. Its facades demand to find out more about the people who once lived there and spent their holidays by the sea. When we found out about the month of spa architecture and that the time of the seaside resort was represented in sketches, it was clear to us: we have to see it. So it went without saying that Binz landed again on the itinerary of our trip to the Baltic Sea.
The month of the resort architecture in the Baltic resort of Binz
In the month of resort architecture, villas open their doors to visitors who can either visit them on a guided tour or individually. The owners tell anecdotes from history and show the guests the special features of their house. We learn that Wilhelm Klünder, who once owned the village inn in the fishing village of Binz, was the first to build a hotel on the shores of the Baltic Sea. He did this under the gaze of the people of Binz, who did not understand how a hotel could be built right by the sea. The fishing village of Binz was on the hill that rises behind the villas.
The Binzers were suspicious of the bathers anyway. What prompted sensible people to travel for kilometers to walk up and down the sandy beach and - even more incomprehensible - to dive into the sea water and "bathe"? The "sandpipers" and "air snappers", but also the "dippers", as they called the visitors from the big city, were not entirely at ease. But they kept a keen eye on how Klünder's hotel construction and business developed.
That must be in the suitcase for the Binz vacation on Rügen
- Comfortable walking boots, because Binz and Rügen offer many opportunities for hiking
- If you are planning an elegant evening, then you should comfortable pumps .
- Fit for a stroll on the promenade or on the beach Sandals.
- A backpack, in which you can store all the utensils for a day. For longer hikes we recommend one backpack.
- A Binoculars*that you can use to keep an eye out for ships
- A Camera* for the numerous photo opportunities that Binz offers.
- You need one for the beach swimsuit or swimming trunks*.
- So that you don't forget anything for your vacation by the sea, we have one packing list for the beach vacation compiled.
- A few Baltic Sea Mysteries * for the beach chair
- We recommend the for excursions and hikes Rügen travel guide * from the Michael-Müller-Verlag.
The first hotel in Ostseebad Binz
As a village innkeeper in Binz, he had noticed that his visitors, who were arriving from Putbus, were always wondering why there was no place to stay on the beach in Binz and why they always had to walk from the village down to the sea. As a businessman, Klünder did not take long to ask, and built the “beach hotel”, which was the first to offer accommodation on the beach. Under the eyes of the villagers, his hotel was already a success in its first year that could be seen.
After that there was no holding back, and more and more villas and hotels were built Baltic sea beach along the beach promenade, which was built for the "air snappers". To this day it is the main attraction in Binz. The "air snappers" still exist. They stroll up and down along the sandy beach as they always have. However, Klünders Strand-Hotel no longer exists today. In its place stands the Grand Hotel Binz, a five-star hotel that offers views of the Baltic Sea and the pier on one side and the tranquility of the forest that stretches along the hillside all the way up to the top of the cliff clinging to the slope.
The beach hall
Only a few steps away, away from the hustle and bustle of the pier, is the beach hall that Wilhelm Klünder had built for his first bathers. We don't shy away from going there, and it's worth it, because the beach hall with its furnishings offers a place for a break while strolling along the promenade. But the villas that are lined up towards the pier are also worth seeing. The name "Klünder" appears again on one of them. Alwine Klünder, Wilhelm Klünder's widow, had the pension with twelve rooms built. Like most other villas, their best time was in the twenties and thirties, when Binz developed into one of the Baltic seaside resorts. Towards the end of World War II, many of the houses were repurposed and used as emergency shelters. Villa Klünder was a maternity home for refugee women.
The Baltic Sea Binz during GDR times
The fate of the villa owners during the GDR was even sadder. Most of them were expropriated during Aktion Rose in 1953. Many of them fled west. After the fall of the Wall, some of the owners came back and took over their family property again. Most of the villas in Binz are now owned by hotel operators from the west, who have restored them (mostly) true to the original with attention to detail or rebuilt them according to old plans.
UFA stars in the Baltic resort of Binz
On the day of the “Open Villas”, the people of Binz bring the time of the big UFA stars back to life with a sketch on the terrace of the dune house. There is evidence that Willy Fritsch stayed there several times. As a movie star, he was the only one who was even allowed to drive his car on the promenade. Once he brought his colleague Lillian Harvey with him on his visit, whose arrival is shown in a game scene.
Spa guests in the Baltic resort of Binz
Later in the day we can watch how the spa guests of Binz were once driven to cold water treatments. The poor guy who has to undergo this procedure is given cold water sprays in the air, if he doesn't want to, even with force. Finally, he is even given sea water, which is said to have healing properties. Who believes it? In any case, a number of strollers stop and look, together with us, at the scene in front of Villa Haiderose.
The bath villas of Binz
The history of the bath villas of Binz and their owners is melancholy. It is not a story that makes you happy. But somehow it comes to a happy end, because after all, the city shines again in its old splendor, albeit often among other owners than those who created this wonderful architecture.
Guided tours of the resort architecture in Binz are currently taking place from mid-March to mid-May. Information is available from the tourism authority.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in a camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- At the BsSW Campingpark Rügen, Südstrand 96, 18609 Binz. But there are other campsites near Binz. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill after a day trip .
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Arrival by plane, train or bus
Book yours here Arrival by plane, bus or train*. Lufthansa or Germanwings fly to Rostock. From there we continue with the rental car. It is possible to travel by train to Rügen train station.
Hotels in Binz:
Do you already know:
- Explore Binz Ostseebad
- Binz on Rügen - amber, white beach villas & star cuisine
- Kurhaus Binz: Grande Dame of the resort architecture
- Darss sights between Fischland and Zingst
- Searching for amber at the North Sea
- Texel sights
- Helsinki landmarks
Source: own research on site with a friendly invitation from the spa administration Binz
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline