Home » Great Britain » Plum Pudding Recipe - How to prepare Christmas Pudding

Plum Pudding Recipe - How to prepare Christmas Pudding

Plum pudding recipe - making Christmas pudding yourself
A Recipe for Plump Pudding - Making Christmas Pudding by Yourself © courtesy of Azlin Bloor of Linsfood

Plump pudding in English style

The plump pudding is part of the traditional Christmas festival in the UK like the Christstollen with us - with this plump pudding recipe you can make the Christmas pudding yourself. And maybe a little more tasty than this traditional dessert is generally said. Because not even the British agree whether the plum pudding tastes good or not, Even though more than 60 millions of Englishmen, Iren and Scots To remain faithful to this tradition, he is nevertheless told that he tastes more like a frayed car tire, rather than a cake.

Discover 19 Best Places to Spend Christmas in Europe here.

A Christmas dessert that was not originally one

Already since the 14. In the 19th century, it exists. If the plump pudding at that time also nothing Christmas had to do. Instead, the British ate him during Lent before Christmas. At first it was nothing more than a thick soup, in which beef and mutton was cooked until it fell apart. Seasoned with raisins, prunes, wine and various spices.

Over the centuries, this porridge has been refined with eggs, bread crumbs, beer and lots of alcohol to such an extent that it is more reminiscent of today's Christmas pudding. However, it was precisely the alcohol content that led the Puritans and Quakers under Oliver Cromwell in the 17th century to ban the plum pudding. It was considered a "sinfully rich" judgment that decent Christian people should not consume. No wonder you read traditional recipes for the brown dough pile. In addition to kidney fat, flour, sugar, breadcrumbs, raisins, sultanas, almonds, eggs, cinnamon, ginger and cloves, incredible amounts of beer and various types of alcohol are part of it. It's no wonder that some partiers reacted more cheerfully than they should.

Only King George I made him finally acceptable. On his first English Christmas after his arrival from Hannover he was presented with the specialty as a Christmas dessert. And since he was not averse to culinary delights anyway, he took good care. Charles Dickens also helped the plum pudding to literary honors in his Christmas story. But now for the plump pudding recipe.

Tasty plump pudding recipe

This recipe kindly has us Azlin Bloor from Linsfood made available. She was born in Singapore but has been living in England for many years and is married to an Englishman. She has adapted the traditional ingredients to today's taste so that it is no longer the original recipe. But it tastes better.

Instead of the traditional kidney suet she uses vegetable fat (eg palm fat). And the Guinness in the original recipe was replaced with sweet sherry and brandy. Over the years, further changes were added. But just try it yourself. And let us know how you like this plum pudding recipe.

So you can do Christmas pudding yourself

Ingredients for plum pudding

• 200g cane sugar
  • 100g breadcrumbs
  • 100g chipped palm fat
  • 1 tea spoon Milled Mixed Spices
  • 1 / 8 tea spoon Milled Cinnamon
  • A pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
  • 200g Sultania
  • 250g raisins
  • 40g Orangeate and citrate chopped and mixed
  • 50g roasted almonds, finely chopped
  • 1 medium sized cooking apple, unpeeled, chopped
  • grated peel of two lemons
  • 120ml sweet sherry or - alcohol free - 100 ml of orange juice
  • 4 table spoons of brandy or - alcohol free - light Earl Gray tea
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten, in a separate bowl
  • 50g flour with a pinch of baking soda

Preparing your plum pudding

1. Take a large mixing bowl and add sugar, palm oil, breadcrumbs and spices and mix well.
  2. Add the dried fruits, orange peel and lemon, almonds, apple and lemon zest. Mix it well.
  3. Add the alcohol to the beaten egg and stir well. Then add it to the other ingredients.
  4. Mix everything together. It should be a loose mix. Cover it with cling film and leave it overnight.

The next day

1. Stir in the flour and mix well.
  2. Put the mixture in a greased pudding dish and pack well.
  3. Cover with a layer of baking paper, then with aluminum foil, leaving some space for the steam. Tie it tight with a string.
  4. Place it for eight hours in a boiling water bath for a large pudding. Or divide the amount into three smaller containers and leave them in a water bath for three hours. Make sure that the water does not evaporate.
  5. If you do not have a steamer, use a saucepan with an inverted saucer. Place the pudding on the saucer and fill it with half full of boiling water. Cover it with the saucepan lid and let the water boil.
  6. Then let the pudding cool down completely. This usually takes one day. Then replace the baking paper and foil with new covers.
  7. Store it in a cool, dark place.
  8. On Christmas day, place the larger pudding for 2 hours, the smaller pudding for 1 hour into the water bath.

You do not want to do the Christmas pudding yourself? No problem. You can also buy the Plum Pudding online:

Source for the article "Plum Pudding Recipe - Christmas Pudding Yourself": own research and recipe by Azlin Bloor.

Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Azlin Bloor, Linsfood

Responses

1. Katja

Dear Ones,
    I should really bake that. But what exactly makes the dark color, is not clear with.
    In terms of taste, I am curious if Englishmen bake better than they can cook :-)
    It depends on a trial.
    Best regards, Katja

• Monika & Petar Fox

Dear Katja,

We haven't yet tried the plum pudding ourselves. Maybe next year? The color comes from the raisins, sultanas and other dried fruits. As far as English - or rather - Irish cuisine was concerned, I was wronged this year. Ten years ago it was quite a “uniform porridge”, it has blossomed a lot during this time. It would be interesting to take a trip through England in search of culinary experiences. A special kind of search for traces, so to speak.

Best regards,
      Monika and Petar

2. Nicole from PASSENGER X

Oh yes, I'm on such a thing: recipes that are reminiscent of travel. Here in Argentina, I have just baked Alfajores myself and I will definitely repeat this at home, because even over the taste buds you can take a bissl holiday feeling :) And the Plum pudding definitely sounds really British and exciting.

In this sense, Merry Christmas you guys :)
    Best regards
    Nicole

• Monika & Petar Fox

Dear Nicole,

so are we. Why should one prepare regional dishes only in the places from which they originate? I really like putting myself in places where we have traveled in my kitchen. So we bring back many memories.

Have a nice Christmas.

Best regards,
      Monika

3. Kathi

Dear Ones,

Thank you for this great insight into the world of Plum Pudding. I actually had no idea how to do it. At the point, the recipe is really helpful. :)
    Maybe I'll try it this year. ;)

Many greetings
    Kathi

• Monika & Petar Fox

Dear Kathi,

Let us know how it tasted. We have not done it ourselves yet. Maybe next year will come on our Christmas menu.

Greetings and a Merry Christmas wish
      Monika and Petar

4. Susanne

Until the sentence 8 hours water bath, I still thought - I'm doing this year. But I think I do not have that much patience. Then I prefer to buy a finished variant.
    Although homemade often tastes much better ....
    Love greeting Susanne

• Monika & Petar Fox

Haha, Susanne. Yes, I can understand that well. Making a plum pudding yourself obviously requires patience. But there is also the other alternative.

Best regards,
      Monika

5. Ricarda Christina Hollweg

Interesting, I did not even know this Christmas tradition from the UK. It's amazing how many different customs there are in different countries ... I especially like how you explain the historical background in depth. LG, Ricarda

• Monika & Petar Fox

Dear Ricarda,

I am glad that we could tell you something new about the Christmas traditions in Great Britain. I found it interesting how far they have gone back in history.

Best regards,
      Monika

6. Barbara

Most Englishmen I know buy it. And I also got some gifts or bought them myself. By the way, they were delicious!

I have not even baked, but I want to try it out. Thanks for the recipe. Have you already tried it?

• Monika & Petar Fox

I can not imagine that one serves something for Christmas that does not taste good. We have not tried the recipe itself yet. But next year maybe.

7. Shadowlight

: P Now I must confess that I do not like it: P.
    I wish you a nice weekend!

• Monika & Petar Fox

Hi Jenny,

I have not tasted it yet because I've never been around the Christmas season in the UK. I would like to try it, because without having tasted it at least once, you can not have a say.

Best regards,
      Monika

8. Azlin Bloor

Thank you for this wonderful post on a beloved British tradition, Monika. I hope your readers enjoy reading it!

• Monika & Petar Fox

I am sure they will like it, Azlin. It's such a great story, and it looks so good on your photo. I am thinking about adding it to our Christmas dishes next year.