Are you interested in events and festivals in Burgenland?Summer is festival time in the Burgenland. We were able to experience this ourselves in August on our Kultour Journey through the Burgenland, which brought us closer to the borders of the country.
Events and festivals in Burgenland at Tabor Castle
Our journey began in Neuhaus am Klausenbach. There is Castle Tabor. Mercenary leader Ulrich Pessnitzer from Styria built this in 1469. Since 1607 it has belonged to the Batthyány noble family from Hungary. It was restored in 2002 and 2003. Today it serves as a backdrop for opera performances at the Jennersdorf Summer Festival. One of the festivals in Burgenland.
There are opera or operetta performances
We had the pleasure of watching the premiere of "The Marriage of Figaro" at Tabor Castle at the festival in Burgenland. An opera buffa in which Wolfgang Amadeus sends his protagonists through a tangle of love affairs.
The bass-baritone Derrick Ballard as Figaro and the baritone Mathias Hausmann as Count Almaviva were outstanding. Director Dietmar Kerschbaum brought an international ensemble of singers to Tabor Castle. They excelled in their roles. Among them were Renate Pitscheider as Susanna, Anna Schoeck as Countess Almaviva, Elisabeth Pratscher as Barbarina and Regina Schörg as Marcellina. Countertenor Thomas Lichtenecker impressed us as Cherubino. With singers like these, J:Opera Jennersdorf has been able to bring world-class singers to the Schlossbühne in Schloss Tabor for 10 years now. Among them are singers who also sing at the Salzburg Festival, at La Scala in Milan and even at the Metropolitan Opera in New York.
Information on events and festivals in Burgenland can be found here:
Cultural Association Tabor Castle
Tabor Road 3
8385 Neuhaus am Klausenbach
Mobile: + 43 (0) 664 / 253 33 59
Lake Festival in Mörbisch on Lake Neusiedl
The backdrop at the festival in Burgenland on the lake stage in Mörbisch is impressive. Behind the backdrop there are also views of Lake Neusiedl and the towns on its banks. We were able to experience the production of the musical “Anatevka” by Jerry Bock in this setting. Her stage design showcased life in a village in Russia.
Festivals in Burgenland on the Mörbisch lake stage
We visit Anatevka at the festival in Burgenland on Lake Neusiedl. The story of the milkman Tevye and his family is brought to life very sensitively in this performance. His three daughters choose partners as husbands who do not correspond to what Tevye and his wife Golde hope for their children. None of them meet the demands that Jewish tradition places on them. This shakes Tevye's world upside down. In the end, however, love for his children wins. He finally releases her into her life with his blessing. Even if it's not what he expected for her.
The events in Tevye's family are embedded in the obliteration of the shtetl world by the Shoah. At the same time, the migration of Jews to Israel or America plays a role. The tragedy of the Jews gives the musical its character. Tevye's conflict between love and tradition reinforces this. It is only at the end of the musical that the departure to America and the fireworks finally bring a glimmer of hope into play.
A festival in Burgenland is definitely an event that will be remembered.
Association of the Seefestspiele Mörbisch
Joseph Haydn Alley 40 / 1
Phone: + 43 (0) 2682 / 66210 - 0
Fax: + 43 (0) 2682 / 66210 - 14
Do you like to travel to the festivals in Burgenland in your camper van?
- Do you want to rent a mobile home? Then you can find information here, for example, and booking options. Or would you prefer to stay overnight instead in a roof tent on the car? In addition, the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Be sure to check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Practical camper accessories You can also find it here.
- Austria has a nationwide network of campsites. On some, for example, you can have dinner in the restaurant after a day trip Dutch Oven or on the portable grill or maybe on a campfire prepare. You can also find Dutch oven accessories you can also find here.
- There are parking spaces in all parts of the country. However, you are only allowed to stay overnight outside of campsites and parking spaces for a maximum of one night. But be careful: there are additional bans (Tyrol, Vienna). Camping Guide for Austria * You can therefore buy it here.
- Here you will also find tips for Cooking in the mobile home.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
If you purchase via a link marked *, we receive a commission, which we use to run this blog.
Parking at the airport
Convenient travel to the festivals in Burgenland by plane, train and long-distance bus
Arrival by plane, bus or train*. Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines and Swiss will follow Vienna. There are also long-distance buses to Vienna. From there you can then rent a rental car. It is also possible to arrive by train.
Book your rental car for the festivals in Burgenland here:
Book accommodation for the festivals in Burgenland here:
Hotels in Burgenland* For example, you can book here.
Do you know this?
- Autumn and wine in Burgenland
- Tasting Burgenland wine – three times different
- Arts and crafts in Burgenland
- In Salzburg music is in the air
- Pacific Rim Tofino Whale Festival on Vancouver Island
Source Festivals in Burgenland: research on site. We would definitely like to thank you for inviting us to this trip. However, our opinions remain our own.
Text : © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline