Stay overnight in a mobile home in Germany and Europe in times of Corona. Are pitches or campsites optimal? The answer to this question answers this page.
Stay overnight in a mobile home in Germany and Europe
“Where are you allowed to stay overnight in a mobile home in Germany and Europe?” – that is the question we ask ourselves. Are pitches or campsites better? Can you stay overnight in a mobile home on the side of the road? We're thinking about one Motorhome trip by Germany to. As is the case with types of travel that one has not yet done, questions arise that we want to clarify before deciding on such a trip. Among them was one that is not that easy to answer: Where can you stay overnight with a motorhome in Germany? "Well, on the campsite," you say? You are right about that. But there are other options. We want to present them to you in this post:
Stay overnight in a camper van at campsites in Germany and Europe
The most comfortable way is to stay overnight in a mobile home on a campsite. Of course there are campsites where you can find everything you need for your motorhome trip through Germany. Electricity connection, water connection, ways to get rid of your sewage. You have to take these things into account when planning your trip. Not all motorhome parking spaces in Germany and Europe offer the possibilities for this. Campsites include washing and toilet facilities.
Often there is also a café or a restaurant where you can get snacks. A shop that sells bread rolls in the morning is often also part of it. At a campsite you can relax on a portable grill Your dinner in one Dutch Oven prepare. For facilities such as those offered by campsites of this type, you have to pay accordingly. Two adults and one child pay an average of 27,90 euros for a car or caravan site, electricity, hot showers and tourist tax per overnight stay on campsites in Germany. According to RP Online, that's even five euros less than in the rest of Europe. But it's even cheaper.
Where can you stay overnight with a motorhome in Germany - on motorhome parking spaces
Where can I stay overnight with a mobile home? This can be done, for example, on pitches specially designed for mobile homes. In holiday regions there are often special mobile home parking spaces that are set up by the villages. These offer parking spaces where you can usually stay with the mobile home for a limited time. How long is determined by the local authority. Sometimes you will find electricity columns on pitches where you can charge the battery. Water supply or sewage facilities are less common.
The pitch fees vary between zero and 15 euros per night. They are often located near attractions, at outdoor pools, on a river or other body of water, on a farm, at a mountain railway, a marina or a winery. It's worth keeping an eye out for. A source for the whole of Europe is, for example, the Stellplatz.info site. It answers the question: where can you park your motorhome in Germany.
Where can you stay overnight with a camper - in parking lots: sleep yes, camping no
In Germany, the law allows you to spend the night in a mobile home in public parking spaces "to maintain your ability to drive", as long as you don't set up your camping chairs and start barbecuing in public. This means that if you get tired from driving, you can sleep in a public parking lot to wake up again. Ten hours are considered acceptable to restore driving ability. If you stay longer in a parking lot and even unpack camping chairs, you are claiming a special right of use that is not available in public parking lots.
If you only stay in a mobile home, you can do so in public parking spaces that are not expressly closed to mobile homes. are you with one Car with roof tent On the way, you can also spend the night in a roof tent on public parking spaces - as long as your tent does not exceed the width of the vehicle. You can stand in these parking lots for one night and then have to move on. But beware! Such parking spaces are often visited by thieves.
Parking lots of supermarkets or shopping centers are not included. These are private parking spaces. It is possible, for example, in parking lots on the motorway or at parking bays and rest areas on federal highways where there are no prohibition signs for campers. In such parking lots, overnight stays are usually free of charge, unless you park your motorhome in a paid parking lot.
Fines for a violation can be high. Here some examples:
- If you violate a ban, a fine of 10 euros or more will be levied
- If a parked motorhome hinders others, the fee is from 15 euros.
- If the motorhome is parked in a blind spot, it costs 35 euros.
- If the motorhome hinders others at the same time, the fine increases to 55 euros.
- If you camp in forbidden places with the mobile home, it costs between 10 and 200 euros, depending on the federal state. "Camping" means something different than "parking". You camp when you set up your camping chairs, grill in front of the motorhome or extend the awning. Parking means that you park the mobile home unchanged from the outside. Inside you can stay and, if necessary, sleep to restore your driving ability. Even staying overnight in the same place several times is considered camping.
- If you camp in a nature reserve, the fine (depending on the federal state) is between 15 and 1500 euros.
- Camping in a nature reserve is also prohibited. If you violate it, it costs between 50 and 2500 euros, depending on the state.
The dimensions and weight of the motorhome play a role if you want to stay overnight in the motorhome outside of campsites in Germany:
- If you park the motorhome on a parking lane, you have to make sure that you do not hinder anyone or pose a danger to others.
- If a motorhome is allowed to park on a sidewalk, this only applies to motorhomes with a total weight of up to 2,8 tons.
- There are parking spaces where campers can stay longer. Such places are marked with the signs 365-67 and 365-68 or the addition 1010-67.
What about motorway service stations? Where can you stay with a motorhome?
It gets difficult here. If only truck and car parking spaces are signposted, a motorhome combination may not legally be parked anywhere. The truck sign allows parking for vehicles weighing more than 3,5 tons. However, the towing vehicle must not be a car. It is better to find another parking space.
An alternative are truck stops. Parking there may cost something as truck stops are privately operated. However, you will often find disposal stations there that are useful for campers.
Can caravans be parked in motorhome parking spaces?
That is not allowed. A motorhome parking space is not permitted for trailers, unless a sign expressly authorizes this. If the sign only shows a mobile home, the parking space is only permitted for mobile homes.
Where can I stay overnight in the motorhome? There are free parking spaces in Germany
There are places, winegrowers or restaurants that attract tourists, customers and visitors to their restaurant with free parking spaces for mobile homes. Very few are completely free. Some ask for donations for the maintenance of the place. At others, a visit to the restaurant is a prerequisite for being able to use the parking space. In these places you can spend the night in a camper or spend the night in the car park with the mobile home.
Yes we camp! City Camping
The best RV sites in Germany
Pitch guide farms
The Bordatlas * lists the most popular parking spaces in Germany and Europe. You will find over 7000 motorhome parking spaces and large-format maps in this parking space guide. 3800 parking spaces are listed for Germany. The rest is spread across 35 countries in Europe.
The question "Where can I stay overnight in Germany with the motorhome?" Is not that easy to answer. Spending the night in a mobile home in Germany is possible at the locations mentioned. Just know what your rights and obligations are. And of course also how high the prices for such overnight accommodations are on average.
Where can I stay overnight with the mobile home
Addendum after the trip:
We made the motorhome trip along the Main as planned. We liked her. We stayed overnight on campsites as well as on pitches and campsites without running water and electricity. We did the latter in places where campsites were not available. Since we had a shower in the RV, we found that the water supplies run out quickly if you don't fill them up every night. Staying overnight in a mobile home in Germany can be more pleasant.
As a result, we sometimes drove a little off the route we planned to get to campsites with facilities. Staying overnight on a pitch is fine, but not our choice for overnight stays on camping trips. We were almost always on the lookout for pitches and campsites with comfort. So it was good to know the answer to the question: "Where can you stay overnight in Germany with a motorhome".
Camping guide for Europe
Are you planning a camping trip to the south? No problem! The ADAC camping guide will also be available for southern Europe in 2021.
Camping and pitch guides to choose from:
- ADAC Camping Guide Germany/Northern Europe 2021: With ADAC Campcard and planning maps*
- ADAC parking space guide 2021 Germany and Europe: ADAC expertise on over 6600 parking spaces*
- The ADAC Camping Guide Southern Europe 2021: With ADAC Campcard and planning maps*
- ADAC Camping Guide Germany & Northern Europe 2020*
- camping.info Camping Guide Germany 2021*
- ADAC Camping and Parking Space Atlas Germany/Europe 2021/2022 (ADAC Atlases)*
- ADAC travel guide: The 111 most beautiful campsites for families*
- ACSI International Camping Guide Europe 2021: in 2 volumes incl. discount card and ACSI Camping Europa app discount code. *
- Campsites & RV sites in Germany 2021: BVCD Camping Guide Germany 2021*
- Motorhome Highlights Germany. Destinations and tours between the Baltic Sea and the Alps.*
- The best RV parks in Germany. Places for holidays on four wheels. Glamping, nature and adventure. *
- The big motorhome book Germany: The most beautiful routes between Sylt and the Alps.*
- camping.info Camping Guide Alps 2021: Austria, Switzerland, Bavarian Alps and South Tyrol-Trentino*
- Let's Camp! Short trips in and around Germany*
- Camper pitches: More than 1400 pitches throughout Germany*
Tips for motorhome trips
- Gifts for camping enthusiasts
- Packing list motorhome - what you should not forget
- Winter camping Bavaria - what should you watch out for?
- Cooking in the camper
- Portable grill for picnic and camping
- Motorhome trip through the wine country of Franconia
- Motorhome tips for newbies
- Go on a culinary journey of discovery with the mobile home
- Gifts for campers and motorhomes
- Traveling with a motorhome - tips
- Camping at the Chiemsee - Here you will find campsites
- Discover Europe while traveling
- Gifts for travelers
Source motorhome parking spaces Germany: research on site
Text in Germany and Europe staying in a mobile home: © Copyright Monika Fuchs
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs