Buying a hiking backpack? You should know that before buying
Do you want to buy a hiking backpack that meets your requirements? Which fits for yours Hiking equipment? Do you even go hiking with a backpack? Then it is important that you first make it clear to yourself what your hikes usually look like. You should ask yourself a few questions before you buy, so that you can choose the right hiking backpack for you. Not everyone hikes the same way. Hiking is not just hiking. With these tips you can buy your hiking backpack online. Then you can store everything in it what you need for hiking. Have a look in our hiking backpack online shop.
Light hiking backpack with a capacity of up to 25 liters
For us as pleasure hikers, it is important that we do not carry too much weight on our backs. For short hikes, a snack should be served in the Lunch box and drinks are transported. In addition, there must be enough space for Raincover or a jacket that we have with us in case the weather changes. We therefore take a light backpack with us on most of our hikes or walks. These backpacks have a capacity of up to 25 liters. You can store everything you need for a leisurely hike in it. This selection is suitable as a women's backpack for hiking. Here you can buy a good cheap hiking backpack.
Hiking backpacks with a capacity of 30 to 45 liters
If the hike is to be a day long, you will need more provisions and, above all, more drinks or water. In addition, you always have to expect a change in the weather on such tours. For this you need rain protection, a warmer jacket and sun protection in the backpack. If the hike goes into the mountains, you may need special equipment. You can find a backpack for mountain hiking here.
Buy hiking backpack for touring and mountain hikers
Some of our friends hike differently. There are those for whom a hike has to include a difference in altitude of several hundred meters. Alternatively, a day hike is also interesting for them, where brisk walking and longer tours are important. Such hikes are exhausting. They cost strength. Of course, this has to be replaced again. With a picnic and cool drinks. A light hiking backpack is no longer sufficient for this. It is best to have a backpack with one in it Hydration * fits. You can buy hiking backpacks here.
This backpack has to endure a lot. The hiker carries him over rough terrain. He overcomes steep paths as well as long distances. Of course, the weight plays a role. This should be as low as possible. On the other hand, the hiker is long on the way. He needs enough drinks and food. If he overcomes larger height differences, there must be room for one Fleece jacket * or rain cover. On Hat that protects against the sun, should also have space. A touring backpack is particularly suitable for this. Our favorite is this one
Buy hiking backpack for multi-day hikers
Others like to hike for several days. They love long-distance hiking trails with overnight stays along the way. Others are weekend hikers. They spend every weekend on a different hike. These may also take several days. During such hikes, the hiking backpack must also be able to accommodate changing clothes and equipment Hiking poles * and other utensils such as one Outdoor cooker *.
Hiking backpack for multi-day hikes
A Hiking backpack for multi-day tours * On the one hand, it has to have as little dead weight as possible. On the other hand, it has to provide space for all the equipment needed for a hike that spans several days. Changing clothes must fit as well as the snack and drinks or one Hydration * for hunger and thirst on the go. There are multi-day hikers who already go on tour with 32 l rucksacks. Which one you choose depends on how much equipment you absolutely need during such a long hiking tour. This hiking backpack must make it easier for the wearer to carry the weight. It has to be flexible in its size so that you can add things to it.
Hiking backpacks put to the test
It is best to trust the experts. The Stiftung Warentest has not carried out a current test of hiking backpacks itself. Instead, she relies on the results of the backpack test carried out by the Swiss consumer magazine Sale. In 2019, they examined backpacks with a capacity of 22 to 30 liters. We tested the wearing comfort, how rainproof and robust the backpacks are and how easy they are to pack. You can buy hiking backpack test winner here:
The winner - The Brenta from Vaude
Second - The Deuter Zugspitze
Both received the highest score in terms of rain density. With a rain cover, they turned out to be very good even in heavy rain. The Brenta 25 also impressed with its comfort.
Backpack packing accessories
Clothes bag set for the backpack
Who does not know that? At the beginning of the journey, clothes, bathing utensils and everything else you need when traveling are neatly stowed away. The longer you travel, the greater the confusion. You can remedy this by packing your travel essentials in bags. This will help you organize your luggage:
- Garment bag set with compression for suitcase and backpack (7 pieces)*
- Medium Garment Bags*
- Foldable mini bag - 10 zippered organizer pockets*
- Ultra-light pannier for large accessories*
- Waterproof panniers and toilet bags*
Which hiking backpack to buy?
This is the first question you should ask yourself. That depends on which backpack is the right one for you. The following tips for buying a hiking backpack online will show you what types of backpacks there are. The best thing to do is to clarify this question first:
What kind of hiker are you? Are you going backpacking?
Buy a hiking backpack for your type of hiking
Which hiking backpack you need depends, among other things, on which hikes you are going on. Do you like to walk long distances? Preferably uphill and over hill and dale? Then you need a different backpack than someone who likes to take it easy and whose hikes shouldn't be strenuous. Who prefer enjoyment to exertion. On long journeys you have to weigh up what you will need on the way. After all, you have to carry the weight with you. For long-distance hikes, you also have to take everything you need for sleeping and cooking with you. So it has to be carefully considered which rucksack you put your utensils in.
Buy hiking backpack online tips
- Hiking backpacks should definitely be durable. Therefore, you should make sure that they are made of material that can also withstand bangs and bumps. On longer hikes you carry the weight on your back. This is easier if the backpack has shoulder straps and a hip and chest strap. This allows you to adjust the weight to your body. And not only that. It also helps with the type of hike, because it plays a role in whether it involves steep inclines or descents or whether you even have to climb.
- It is also important that the backpack fits so that you don't sweat on your back. Hiking backpacks from Vaude *, interpreter * or Osprey * use mesh fabric or air-permeable foam for this. If the backpack is then divided into compartments and side pockets, it is well suited for longer hikes.
- Women and men should pay attention to these things when buying a backpack:
- The back of women is usually shorter than that of men. You should take this into account when choosing your hiking backpack.
- The lap belt of a backpack should be well padded for women, as the female hips are wider than the male.
- The chest and shoulder straps of a backpack for women should be well insulated. The chest strap must be closed above the chest. It also has to sit higher than that of backpacks for men.
- A very good guide how to properly adjust a backpack for your back, is also available at this link.
It is clear that with such a purchase different demands are placed on the hiking backpack. These tips will therefore help you to decide which hiking backpack you want to buy. Do you also have any tips of your own on what to look out for when buying a hiking backpack?
How do I pack a hiking backpack correctly?
When hiking, the center of gravity of the weight should always be at shoulder height and close to the body. This is where the heavy things you carry in your backpack go. Light things like a jacket or rain protection can be distributed around it. The bottom compartment should definitely be stable. A sleeping bag fits in well on longer hikes or hikes lasting several days. It is important that the main weight is carried by the hip belt. Shoulder straps, on the other hand, can sit looser.
What belongs in a hiking backpack
- For longer hikes, one will definitely do Hydration bladder * good services.
- Practical is also one Rain cover * for the backpack.
- Du comfortable walking shoes? In this post we present what you should pay attention to.
- rain jacket
- telescopic trekking poles*
- drinking bottle*
- GPS device*
- seat cushion*
- Bivouac sack for emergencies*
- light crampons*
- deer tallow cream* (prevents blisters)
- Rain pants *
- Pocket knife*
- First aid kit*
- rescue blanket*
- visor cap*
- hiking map
- Isotonic drink powder*
- You can also find it here Hiking routes all over the worldwhere you can use your hiking backpack.
Do you already know:
- Wine and drinks all over the world
- packing list for the vacation
- Vacation for two with a suitcase
- Gifts for hikers
- Suitcase, trolley or backpack?
- Packing list beach vacation - what has to be in the suitcase?
Buy Quelle hiking backpack online: own research.
Buy text hiking backpack online : © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright of Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline as well as product photos