Not far from Potsdam is the town of Caputh in the Havel region. It borders on the Templiner See, the Caputher See and the Caputher Gemünde, a tributary of the Havel. The Schwielower See is only a few kilometers away. For these sights alone, Caputh is worth a trip from Potsdam. Caputh can be reached by bike from the city center Potsdam in half an hour. But the sights of Caputh and the surrounding area are not limited to attractions on the water. There's more to discover.
Hiking trails around the Templiner See and Schwielower See
It's a leisurely pace at Lake Templin. The lake extends south from Potsdam to Caputh. In 4-5 hours you can wander around the lake. On the way you have to cross the Caputher Gemünde with the cable ferry Tussy II before the path leads back to the city on the other side of the lake. The Caputher Gemünde connects the Templiner with the Schwielower See. A stop at the ice cream parlor on Caputher Ufer is worthwhile. If you like something spicy, then you should definitely try a chocolate-chili-cherry ice cream. Ideally together with other - milder - varieties that you save for the end of the ice cream pleasure.
Another hike takes you around four hours around the Schwielower See from Caputh via Ferch and Petzow. Highlights on the way are the excursion destination Ferch and the castle village of Petzow. In addition, you follow the Fontaneweg back north on this round.
A Walk around the Caputher See takes about an hour and a half. After the first few meters past front gardens you will come to a forest path. The path around this lake leads past bathing spots and places where water lilies grow in the water.
You need that for a hike near Caputh
- Pack your backpack with our packing list for hikers. Then you are guaranteed to have everything you need on the go.
- Comfortable walking bootswhere you can go well
- A backpack is definitely practical for everything you need on the go.
- Pack up picnic because there are always benches with a view along the way. There are also refreshment stops.
- The region offers beautiful photo opportunities. Therefore you should bring your Camera .
- These travel guides are helpful:
- Are you looking for Gifts for hikers?
Houseboats and rafts on the lake are among the attractions in Caputh and the surrounding area
A trip by houseboat is even more comfortable. On the shores of Lake Templin, a whole fleet is waiting for customers. The houseboats don't look as sleek as the ones we ride on ours Houseboat tours were traveling in France or Holland. They are perfect for a boat trip with friends on a summer afternoon on the lake. A mini tour can be undertaken with it in any case.
Eat well in the ferry house at Caputher Gemünde
Right next to the Tussy II ferry pier is an excursion restaurant that is popular with hikers, cyclists and boaters alike. The ferry house is right on the water. There you can enjoy your meal in the guest room or in the beer garden by the water and watch the ship traffic on the Caputher Gemünde.
Fährhaus Caputh restaurant
Unity Street 88
Phone: + 49 33209 70203
A reservation is recommended.
Caputh near Potsdam - Caputh sights with history
In addition to three lakes and the Havel, Caputh has attractions to offer: there is Caputh Castle, a baroque castle from the time of Elector Friedrich Wilhelm, which you can visit. Albert Einstein and his family spent the time in Caputh before he emigrated to the United States. His house has been open to the public since 2005. The village church of Caputh with its steeple is also worth seeing.
Slow Life is very important in Caputh. Residential houses are lined up along the village streets. Allotments testify to the skills of the residents. Tree-lined avenues create an atmosphere that invites you to relax. We like to be in Caputh in Brandenburg.
The village church - one of the Caputh sights
The village church of Caputh with its steeple is worth seeing. This is separate from the main part of the church. It was built in the middle of the 19th century in the style of historicism. The architect was August Stüler. It is worth taking a look at the chancel.
It is actually a mansion. Elector Friedrich Wilhelm von Brandenburg gave it to his second wife Dorothea in the 17th century. She had it converted into a baroque summer palace. Elector Friedrich III, who later became King of Prussia, also liked to stay here.
Today you can visit the castle. The vaulted hall with its faience tiles from Holland is particularly worth seeing.
Unity Street 2
Telephone: (033 209) 703 45
Albert Einstein's summer house
Albert Einstein's summer house is located on the edge of the forest. Built in 1929, he used it until 1933. Then he emigrated to the USA. His house, in which he welcomed five other Nobel Prize winners as guests, has been expropriated and sold to the community of Caputh.
You can visit it today. However, no furnishings have been preserved on Einstein.
Einsteinhaus / Einstein House
At the edge of the forest 15-17
Do you like to travel to the sights in Caputh and the surrounding area by motorhome?
- You can spend the night with your mobile home at this campsite, for example: Campsite Sanssouci, An d. Pirschheide 41, 14471 Potsdam. However, there are more campsites in the area. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill or maybe on a campfire . You can also find Dutch oven accessories can be found here.
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Or do you prefer to travel with a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You want to know where you can stay overnight in Germany and are looking for parking spaces and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
- Do you need Gifts for motorhome enthusiasts?
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Book yours here Arrival by plane, bus or train*. The nearest airport is Berlin. It is possible to arrive by boat from Potsdam to Caputh. Traveling by car from Berlin via the Autobahn to Caputh via the A115 takes just under an hour.
Cheap car hire - book quickly and easily!
Accommodation in Caputh
We have in the quiet area Hotel Mullerhof spent the night. Further Accommodation in Caputh * can be found at booking.com.
Do you already know:
- Scandic Hotel on Potsdamer Platz in Berlin
- Hotel Seeblick in Klietz
- Cooking in a motorhome or houseboat
- Comfortable pumps for wide feet
- Water features in Kassel
- Kassel sights
Find more Slow Travel Tips can be found here.
Source: own research on site.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos © Copyright MonikaFuchs, TravelWorldOnline and public domain