Weissensee lake in Carinthia
With these tips you are well equipped for one Culinary Weekend at Lake Weissensee in Carinthia. We spent two days at Weissensee and are on a real insider tip in Austria encountered. The lake is perfect for a vacation in Austria with hiking. The Seehotel Enzian had invited us for two nights. We had never heard of this lake before. Well, the Ossiacher See or the Millstätter See, both also in Carinthia, were known to us from previous trips. We already knew how beautiful the Carinthian lakes are. But somehow we had never ended up in the Gitschtal just across the Italian border near Tarvisio. Our short stay at Weissensee Carinthia shows what we missed.
The lake is the fourth largest lake in Carinthia. It is located at an altitude of 930 m and its water is so clean that we can look down to its sandy bottom. In the crystal-clear water we can see the numerous fish that live in this alpine lake. The Weissensee is narrow and extends over a length of about eleven kilometers between the Gailtal Alps and the Latschur group. In summer, the water temperature at Weissensee warms up to 24 degrees. These are ideal temperatures for you Beach vacation at the lake. In winter, a thick layer of ice forms on half of the lake - ideal for all types of winter sports.
Current facts about Weissensee Austria
A hotel for connoisseurs on the Weissensee in Carinthia
The Seehotel Enzian is located almost exactly halfway along the lake on its north shore. Because of the brevity of our stay we refrain from a visit to the beach on the Weissensee Carinthia. It does not have to be either. It is worth looking for accommodation with direct access to the lake. This hotel is one of them. But first we want to see more of the lake. The lake can not be avoided by car. You have to decide in advance where you want to go: to the east or to the west bank. The only connection between the two shores are the boats that sail several times a day from May to October on Lake Weissensee in summer. We will not say that twice, because we like to travel by boat or boat.
Weissensee Carinthia Hotel Enzian *
New to 32
9762 Weissensee (Carinthia)
Book yours Hotel on the Weissensee * .
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Camping at Lake Weissensee in Carinthia goes here:
- Seecamping Müller Oberdorf, Weissensee
- Camping Knaller, Techendorf
- Camping Ronacher, Mösel
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and here Booking options *.
- Check with our Packing list camperwhether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Austria has a comprehensive network of campsites, there are parking spaces in all parts of the country, you can stay overnight for a maximum of one night outside of campsites and parking spaces. But be careful: there are regional bans (Tyrol, Vienna). Camping Guide for Austria * you can buy it here.
By electric boat across the lake
We ask for Weissensee tips in the hotel. Our landlady explains to us that we only have to walk a few steps to get to the next landing stage for the boat. However, we don't find any signs indicating where that should be. So we decide to drive our car to the end of the road on the south bank of the lake. From the parking lot at the end of the tarred road we see the landing stage that extends out into the lake. Here, too, there is no sign on the road. But to reach the landing stage, we go back a few hundred meters down the tar road and turn off at the first inn on the lake shore. We walk past the beer garden and stand on the landing stage.
The tickets are on board and we buy tickets with which we can drive all over the lake. On the way we can get off as often as we want and can later go back with another boat. Although there is a timetable, but you better stand on the jetty, if you want to ride. The ship stops when you wave it or tell the boat staff where you want to get off. The whole thing is wonderfully uncomplicated, really relaxed and fits perfectly with the Weissensee.
By boat across the lake
We are on the way with the Alpenperle, Austria's first electric hybrid boat. Except that we cross it environmentally friendly across the lake, this ship has the advantage that it slides almost noiselessly on the water. A great experience! We let the wind blow around our nose and enjoy one of the beautiful late summer days that September has to offer. We first drive to Weissensee, the village that bears the same name as the lake. There, a low bridge prevents the approach to the west bank, and so the boat turns around and crosses the lake several times from one bank to another until we reach the eastern end of the lake, where a breathtaking view of the South Tyrolean Dolomites awaits us from the Austrian side ,
A view from the eastern end of the lake to the Dolomites to South Tyrol
On the way we pass the small villages, which are located on the north shore. From time to time, there are some huts on the south bank, which the peasants use as barns for their hay or hikers to shelter in bad weather. Also in the north of the lake, the settlement is less and less until after the end of the tar road only isolated hikers on the lake are to be recognized. From time to time there are jetties where they can board.
In the tavern Ronacherfels, hikers can rest comfortably on their way from Neusach to the Dolomites view at the eastern end of the lake, or the boaters take a break on their journey across the lake. An idyllic place where you can find peace.
Look from the Weissensee in Carinthia to the Dolomites
We drive to the eastern end of the lake, curious to see what the view of the Dolomites will be like. We are lucky! In bright blue skies and sunshine, the Dolomites are clearly visible between the nearby mountain ranges. If you want, you can start from here for short walks along the lakeshore or for longer hikes over the steep slopes on the lakeshore.
Our time is limited, because we still want to try the lake sauna in the Seehotel Enzian, so we climb back into the Alpenperle and take it back to the starting point of our tour at the east end of Neusach. We were on the Weissensee Austria for almost two hours and enjoyed the trip across the lake, as did the anglers, canoeists, swimmers and hikers we met on our tour. The Weissensee is a quiet mountain lake with a breathtaking view and many beautiful hiking trails. A real insider tip for everyone who likes to enjoy actively. A highlight in our Weissensee Carinthia experience.
Hiking at the Weissensee Carinthia is fun
Am Weissensee Austria Hiking is fun. There are hiking trails that run relatively flat along the lake. For those of you who prefer to go uphill, there are also opportunities.
Hiking trails on Lake Weissensee in Carinthia
Some suggestions, where you can walk on the Weissensee Carinthia, can be found here:
- The North bank path from Neusach is intermediate. It lasts about 2,5 hours, is 8,3 km long and overcomes a slope of 394 m. Details can be found here.
- You need a whole day for that Hike on the Latschur (2.236 m). The trek lasts 11 hours 45 minutes, 21,5 is km long and includes a climb of 1460 m. Details are here.
- The hike from Weissensee to the Hermagor Bodenalm is easy. It's best to plan one right away Snack on the Alm with a. Tour details.
- The walk around the Laka is very varied and includes a trip by boat. It lasts about 6 hours and goes over a distance of well 20 km. In doing so one overcomes a slope of 440 m. Details can be found here.
- The hike from Weißbriach over the Kreuzberg to the Weissensee is easy. It takes about two and a half hours and is well over 7 km long. In doing so you overcome a height difference of 307 m. Information about the tour can be found here.
What you need for a pleasure trip to the Weissensee in Carinthia
- When hiking we wear solid hiking boots, They also stop on uneven paths.
- On a hike you need one backpack, in which you have drinks, snacks, a Jacket and store odds and ends.
- Check with our Hiking checklistwhether you have packed everything you need for your hike.
- Lunch box with board and other practical things for hikers can be found here.
- Travel Guide* and Cards* on the way for good information
- Use our Checklist for a beach vacation and put everything in the Casewhat you need for it.
Arriving by plane and / or car
The closest airport is Salzburg. From there you travel by rental car or your own car. The journey time from Salzburg to the Carinthian Weissensee is about 2 hours 10 minutes. It takes 3 hours 15 minutes from Munich, 4,5 hours from Vienna and 2 hours 45 minutes from Graz.
Book yours here Accommodation at Weissensee *
More Slow Travel Destinations and Experiences:
- Your Top Restaurant am Weissensee - Which kitchen do you prefer?
- Such is a monastery holiday in the Benedictine monastery in Lavanttal
- The legendary Gold of the Tauern in Heiligenblut
- Hohe Tauern by car - the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
- Monastery Wernberg - from Brennesselschloss to guest monastery
- More tips for the Weissensee
- Discover Carinthian specialties during holidays in the Gailtal and Lesachtal
- Heiligenblut in Carinthia on the Grossglockner
Do you already know:
- Camping Waging am See in Chiemgau
- Spaghetti aglio e olio
- Finance Holiday - Travel Blogger Tips
- Gifts for hikers
Source: own research on site. We thank the pleasure Reisen Austria and the Seehotel Enzian am Weissensee for the invitation to this stay at the Weissensee Carinthia. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Video: © Copyright Petar Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Book your Weissensee Carinthia Apartment * .
Weissensee Carinthia Hotel Enzian *