Weissensee lake in Carinthia
With these tips you are well prepared for a weekend of enjoyment at Lake Weissensee in Carinthia. We spent two days at Weissensee and are on a real insider tip in Austria encountered. The Seehotel Enzian had invited us for two nights. Until then we had never heard of this lake. Well, Lake Ossiach or Lake Millstatt, both also in Carinthia, were known to us from previous trips. We already knew how beautiful the Carinthian lakes are. But somehow we had never been to Gitschtal just behind the Italian border at Tarvisio. What we have missed, shows our short stay at Weissensee Carinthia.
The lake is the fourth largest lake in Carinthia. It is located at an altitude of 930 m and its water is so clean that we can look down to its sandy bottom. In the crystal-clear water we can see the numerous fish that live in this alpine lake. The Weissensee is narrow and extends over a length of about eleven kilometers between the Gailtal Alps and the Latschur group. In summer, the water temperature at Weissensee warms up to 24 degrees. These are ideal temperatures for you Beach vacation at the lake. In winter, a thick layer of ice forms on half of the lake - ideal for all types of winter sports.
Current facts about Weissensee Austria
- Water temperature at the lake reaches up to 24 ° Celsius in summer
- Weissensee weather
A hotel for connoisseurs on the Weissensee in Carinthia
The Seehotel Enzian is located almost exactly halfway along the lake on its north shore. Because of the brevity of our stay we refrain from a visit to the beach on the Weissensee Carinthia. It does not have to be either. It is worth looking for accommodation with direct access to the lake. This hotel is one of them. But first we want to see more of the lake. The lake can not be avoided by car. You have to decide in advance where you want to go: to the east or to the west bank. The only connection between the two shores are the boats that sail several times a day from May to October on Lake Weissensee in summer. We will not say that twice, because we like to travel by boat or boat.
Weissensee Carinthia Hotel Enzian *
New to 32
Also popular is the
Weissensee Carinthia Hotel Moser *
Tech Village 17
9762 Weissensee Austria
Book yours Hotel on the Weissensee * here
By electric boat across the lake
Our landlady tells us that we have to walk only a few steps to get to the next pier on the boat. However, we find no signs where that should be. Therefore, we decide to drive our car to the end of the road on the south shore of the lake. From the parking lot at the end of the tarred road we see the boat dock, which extends into the lake. Again, there is no sign on the street. But to reach the boat dock, we go back a few hundred meters the tarred road and turn off at the first inn on the lake. We pass the beer garden and stand on the boat dock.
The tickets are on board and we buy tickets with which we can drive all over the lake. On the way we can get off as often as we want and can later go back with another boat. Although there is a timetable, but you better stand on the jetty, if you want to ride. The ship stops when you wave it or tell the boat staff where you want to get off. The whole thing is wonderfully uncomplicated, really relaxed and fits perfectly with the Weissensee.
By boat across the lake
We are on the way with the Alpenperle, Austria's first electric hybrid boat. Except that we cross it environmentally friendly across the lake, this ship has the advantage that it slides almost noiselessly on the water. A great experience! We let the wind blow around our nose and enjoy one of the beautiful late summer days that September has to offer. We first drive to Weissensee, the village that bears the same name as the lake. There, a low bridge prevents the approach to the west bank, and so the boat turns around and crosses the lake several times from one bank to another until we reach the eastern end of the lake, where a breathtaking view of the South Tyrolean Dolomites awaits us from the Austrian side ,
A view from the east end of Weissensee in Carinthia to the Dolomites in South Tyrol
On the way we pass the small villages, which are located on the north shore. From time to time, there are some huts on the south bank, which the peasants use as barns for their hay or hikers to shelter in bad weather. Also in the north of the lake, the settlement is less and less until after the end of the tar road only isolated hikers on the lake are to be recognized. From time to time there are jetties where they can board.
In the tavern Ronacherfels, hikers can rest comfortably on their way from Neusach to the Dolomites view at the eastern end of the lake, or the boaters take a break on their journey across the lake. An idyllic place where you can find peace.
Look from the Weissensee in Carinthia to the Dolomites
We drive to the eastern end of the lake, curious to see what the view of the Dolomites will be like. We are lucky! In bright blue skies and sunshine, the Dolomites are clearly visible between the nearby mountain ranges. If you want, you can start from here for short walks along the lakeshore or for longer hikes over the steep slopes on the lakeshore.
Camping on the Weissensee
- Seecamping Müller Oberdorf, Weissensee
- Camping Knaller, Techendorf
- Camping Ronacher, Mösel
Our time is limited, because we want to try the lake sauna in the Seehotel Enzian, so we climb back into the Alpenperle and drive with her back to the starting point of our tour at the eastern end of Neusach. Almost two hours we were on the Weissensee Austria and enjoyed the ride over the lake, as well as the anglers, canoeists, swimmers and hikers, whom we met on our tour. The Weissensee is a quiet mountain lake with breathtaking views and many beautiful hiking trails. A real insider tip for those who enjoy active.
Videos are subject to copyright
Hiking at the Weissensee Carinthia is fun
Am Weissensee Austria Hiking is fun. There are hiking trails that run relatively flat along the lake. For those of you who prefer to go uphill, there are also opportunities.
Hiking trails on Lake Weissensee in Carinthia
Some suggestions, where you can walk on the Weissensee Carinthia, can be found here:
- The North bank path from Neusach is intermediate. It lasts about 2,5 hours, is 8,3 km long and overcomes a slope of 394 m. Details can be found here.
- You need a whole day for that Hike on the Latschur (2.236 m). The trek lasts 11 hours 45 minutes, 21,5 is km long and includes a climb of 1460 m. Details are here.
- The hike from Weissensee to the Hermagor Bodenalm is easy. It's best to plan one right away Snack on the Alm with a.
- The walk around the Laka is very varied and includes a trip by boat. It lasts about 6 hours and goes over a distance of well 20 km. In doing so one overcomes a slope of 440 m. Details can be found here.
- The hike from Weißbriach over the Kreuzberg to the Weissensee is easy. It takes about two and a half hours and is well over 7 km long. In doing so you overcome a height difference of 307 m. Information about the tour can be found here.
What you need for a pleasure trip to the Weissensee in Carinthia
- When hiking we wear solid hiking boots, They also stop on uneven paths.
- On a hike you need one backpackin which you will find drinks, snacks, a jacket and odds and ends.
- Check with our Hiking checklistwhether you have packed everything you need for your hike.
- Travel Guide* and Cards* on the way for good information
- Use our Checklist for a beach vacation and put everything you need into the suitcase.
The 10 most popular posts on our blog:
- The Best Beaches in California for a Beach Holiday California
- Where can I sleep in a motor home in Germany?
- Comfortable hiking shoes for wide feet
- Bled at the Bled lake
- Tips for a wine weekend on the Main
- Cool backpacks for city trips
- Texel Island on the North Sea
- The best beach on Cape Cod
- Where to eat in New York - New York insider tips for foodies
- Helsinki landmarks - discover Finland's capital
Arriving by plane and / or car
The nearest airport is Salzburg. From there you can travel by rental car or your own car. Arrival time from Salzburg to Weissensee are about 2 hours 10 minutes. From Munich one drives 3 hours 15 minutes, from Vienna approx. 4,5 hours as well as from Graz 2 hours 45 minutes.
Book yours here Accommodation at Weissensee *
More Slow Travel Destinations and Experiences:
- You can rent a Top restaurant at Weissensee - which cuisine do you prefer?
- Such is a monastery holiday in the Benedictine monastery in Lavanttal
- The legendary Gold of the Tauern
- Hohe Tauern by car - the Grossglockner High Alpine Road
- Monastery Wernberg - from the nettle castle to the guest monastery
- More tips for the Weissensee
- Discover Carinthian specialties during holidays in the Gailtal and Lesachtal
Source: own research on site. We thank the pleasure Reisen Austria and the Seehotel Enzian am Weissensee for the invitation to this stay at the Weissensee Carinthia. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Video: © Copyright Petar Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Book your Weissensee Carinthia Apartment * here
Weissensee Carinthia Hotel Enzian *
Monika Fuchs and Petar Fuchs are the publishers of the Trips to Savor and Slow Travel Blog TravelWorldOnline Traveler , They have been publishing this blog since 2005. TravelWorldOnline is online since 2001.
Their topics are
Monika Fuchs has been working in tourism since 1990. She has been a tour guide on four continents for 17 years and has accompanied high-class trips through North and Central America, Australia, southern Africa and Europe. Since 2001 she has been a writer and photographer for TravelWorldOnline and writes as a freelance journalist for DIE ZEIT Online and travel magazines such as 360 ° Medien, TRIVAGO, Expedia, travador, etc. She also writes travel guides about destinations and enjoyment destinations all over the world. Your guide about Canada's east was released in 2020. Petar Fuchs produced the videos on this blog as well YouTube.
Monika Fuchs from TravelWorldOnline Traveler is at Germany's top 50 bloggers in 2020
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 50 German-language travel blogs according to reader charts.
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 20 of the most successful German travel blogs according to SEO criteria.
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 5 of German Food & Wellness Travel Blogs by popularity among its regular readers.
Find more Information about Monika and Petar Fuchs.