Kassel cascades: what you should know about the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe trick fountains
A visit to the Kassel Wilhelmshöhe water games begins at the Hercules in Kassel.
The Hercules Kassel towers over the Kassel trick fountains
The statue of Hercules in Kassel towers over the trick fountains in Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe. It is the symbol of the city. From the viewing platform below the statue you have a magnificent view of the city of Kassel and the Kassel Bergpark.
Kassel Sights Waterfall and Kassel Bergpark
The city Kassel offers world-class attractions. All around us it murmurs, bubbles and splashes! In the midst of crowds of people we are stuck just a few meters below the statue of Hercules stuck and we can no longer move. We are being pushed. Down the stairs. And these are steep. 539 steps from the top of the Karlsberg along the Great Cascade and always wedged between slabs of rock that limit the path to the left and right. Driven forward by thousands of visitors who want what we do. See the Kassel water features in the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe.
First of all, we are shocked! We do not see anything from the water that pours down the mountain from the pipes just centimeters away, nor from the view of the city of Kassel, which lies below us. Crowds in front of and next to us prevent this. And it doesn't look like that will change, because reversing is impossible.
Kassel Fountains in the Bergpark Kassel
We have no choice but to let ourselves drift. Therefore, we descend in a group of visitors to the Neptune Plateau. This is where the stairs end. Their number and height shot me in the legs up to this intermediate station. My knees tremble when I stand in front of the baroque part of the water features with its faun and centaur. I hear the roar of the water from their horns. Here I see the water correctly for the first time.
The water, which is collected in reservoirs on the mountain, seeks the way down into the valley via steps. It is rainwater that is collected for this spectacle. Therefore, the water games only take place twice a week. Every Wednesday and Sunday and public holiday at 14.30:1 p.m. between May 3st and October XNUMXrd. In between, the water supply has to be replenished in order to start the Hercules water features on the way to Wilhelmshöhe Castle.
Baroque Water Park Hesse
Instead of a palace, as many of his prince colleagues had built during the absolutist era, Landgrave Carl had a water garden built on Karlsberg in Kassel Wilhelmshöhe. The architect Giovanni Francesco Guerniero from Italy created the upper part of the water park until 1714 and completed it with the erection of the statue of Hercules on the octagon at the top of the Karlsberg. A landscape axis opens below the Neptune plateau and extends into the city of Kassel. An outlook that is second to none! Then for a generation there was an end to the expansion of the water features. Only Carl's grandson Landgrave Friedrich II continued the work. Under his reign, the landscape garden was created, which adjoins below the plateau. It was Friedrich II who opened the central axis, which continues into Wilhelmshöher Allee into the city.
Visiting the water features is exhausting
We now follow the crowds of visitors a little more leisurely, because the paths are wider from here. We still have to hurry, because the water flows through each element of the water features in Kassel Wilhelmshöhe for only about ten minutes before it dries up again. We stop at the romantic water features and watch over the heads of the other visitors how the water slowly flows out of the artificially created rock and fills channels that carry it further down.
You need that for a visit
- Comfortable shoeswhere you can safely walk on stairs and forest floor.
- A Water bottle *, because it gets very hot in summer and there is no way to buy something to drink
- A backpackwhere you put everything you need for two hours
- picnic Accessories, because on the meadow below the waterfalls you can do well after the water games snack do
The Kassel Devil's Bridge
This time we take the chance and line up in front of the majority of the visitors on our way to the Teufelsbrücke, which in its arch shape is reminiscent of a bridge in the Alps that bears the same name. Below that, the water masses plummet ten meters.
This section of the park is already a legacy of Landgrave Wilhelm IX, the son of Frederick II and later Elector Wilhelm I. The English Garden and Landscape Park in Kassel Wilhelmshöhe was created under him. The nature of the park is included in the design, and a second water supply is needed to operate this part of the water features.
Bergpark - the Dehio cascade
Finally, we find the Dehio cascade, which directs the water over steps and boulders into the valley, to be particularly beautiful because it seems natural. Surrounded by deciduous trees, it ripples down the mountain at this point as if through a stream. However, this vision of a stream is shortly afterwards interrupted by a torrent of water over the aqueduct break-off. The water falls thirty meters down here and offers a sight that takes your breath away.
The highlight is the fountain
All the water collects in the fountain pond behind the castle, where it then brings about the highlight of the water features in Kassel Wilhelmshöhe via a complex system. This is the most powerful fountain in a garden in Europe, shooting up to 50 meters without any technical aids. The cheers of the spectators gathered at the pond pay tribute to the garden architects three centuries ago for a masterpiece of baroque garden architecture. The tension that has built up over almost two hours erupts in enthusiastic applause.
After two grueling hours of being propelled down the mountain by the water, we realize that you have to experience the water features to appreciate the masterwork of these architects. Even the landgraves and electors who had them built always opened them up to the common people. It should participate in these games. The fascination with it hasn't changed to this day.
The Cascade Restaurant in Kassel
The Kaskadenwirtschaft Grischäfer is located near the Neptungrotte in the Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe. Incidentally, there are Hessian specialties in the rustic restaurant.
You should know this before you look at the water features in Bad Wilhelmshöhe:
- You walk with the water that comes out of each attraction for about ten minutes. Comfortable shoes are definitely recommended.
- It is best to go to the Neptune Plateau before opening the watercourses at 14.30, waiting for the water to run
- After that, it's best to continue to the "romantic waterfalls" and wait until the water comes. It will take some time, but you will then have the best view of the water gushing out.
You can get help here
- Who gets problems on the way (because exhausting is the whole thing), can turn to a park supervision. They have radio and can call for help if necessary. Mobile phones do not work in many places on the mountainside. During our visit, we heard several times the ambulance transporting people with fainting spells.
- It's easy to get lost in the crowds. Therefore, you should definitely agree on a meeting point before the water games begin, where you will meet again if you should be separated on the way.
- Guided tours are also offered, in which the development of the landscape garden is explained. These are chargeable. But you can also watch the water games on your own (free of charge) and simply follow the crowds. However, the individual attractions are not all in a straight line behind and below each other, but here you have to know where to go next.
- We had our car at the parking lot (fee) at the Herkules terraces and after the water games with the bus 23 (departure about 750 m footpath below the castle Kassel Wilhelmshöhe) drove back to pick it up. The bus ride is free with the My Card Plus.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a mobile home? Then you will find information and a selection of here booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You can spend the night directly on the Fulda at the Kassel camping and mobile home site, Giesenallee 9, 34121 Kassel. But there are other campsites near Frankfurt. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill or maybe on that Campfire after a day trip . Dutch oven accessories here.
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Before the start of the water games you can have a good lunch break in this restaurant. The view of Kassel is worth the visit alone. However, if you plan to, you should reserve a table, because on the days of the water games, the restaurant is filled to the last seat. Alternatively, it's worth it snack in der lunch box im backpack .
We stayed at the three star hotel
Wilhelmshoeher Allee 288
The hotel is conveniently located below the Bergpark Kassel Wilhelmshöhe on Wilhelmshöher Allee. It is a modern business hotel with large, pleasantly bright and practically furnished rooms with WiFi that could do with a bit more performance. A hotel car park is available (for a fee). Breakfast buffet is also offered. To the Dinner and breakfast we recommend a short walk to an old part of Kassel, where numerous half-timbered houses still stand.
In this hotel you get the
My Card Plus
This leisure card is a gift of the participating hotels and includes admission to all participating leisure facilities in the GrimmHeimat, as well as free travel on the buses and trains in the North Hessian transport network.
You can experience illuminated trick fountains in Kassel 2022 from September 29.9th to October 01.10.2022st, XNUMX. Then video and light art installations transform the waterfalls into a dream landscape. You can also find more information via the link.
Travel Tips for Hesse
- Three tips for bon vivants in Bad Wildungen
- A culinary trip through Hessen
- Where to eat in Kassel?
- Three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kassel
- Kellerwald Edersee Nature Park - UNESCO World Heritage Site and fairytale home
Arrival by train or bus
Arrival by plane, bus or train*. Lufthansa and numerous other airlines fly to Frankfurt or Hanover. Arrival by train is also possible. In any case, the Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe ICE train station is conveniently located. information about local transport links here.
Hotels in Kassel:
Hotels in Kassel * By the way, you can book via our partner booking.com under this link.
Camping in Kassel:
The Kassel mobile home site is located at Giesenallee 7, 34121 Kassel. A Rent a motorhome you can also here. With our Motorhome packing list you will never forget anything again. Or would you rather stay in one roof tent on the car?
Op Jück gives Tips for a weekend in Kassel
Do you already know:
- Excursion destinations Hessen
- Which rain jacket is the best?
- Cool backpacks for city trips
- 5 wine towns on the Main
- Beautiful cities on the Rhine
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road
- Comfortable pumps for wide feet
- Cool backpacks for city trips
Source: On-site research. Thank you for the invitation from GrimmHeimat Nordhessen. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline