Picnicking in Munich is fun in these places
You can have a picnic in these beautiful places in Munich. Picnics are trendy. You don't have to travel for that. Nevertheless, you can spend nice hours in nature with it. This is also in big cities like Munich possible. Get everything you need for a snack on Viktualienmarkt or at the bakery and butcher around the corner. Pack your picnic blanket and a picnic basket and drive to one of the places we suggest here. So you can enjoy your weekend in the sun.
What do you need for a picnic?
Nice places in Munich for a picnic
Munich has many beautiful places that are suitable for a picnic. Parks, green spaces, the banks of the Isar. You can even bring your picnic to beer gardens (you only have to buy the beer on site). So there are numerous possibilities for enjoying nature.
Order a picnic in Munich
You don't always want to put your picnic together yourself. That takes time and effort. You can also order your picnic. After that, all you have to do is pick it up and enjoy it. You can order your Munich picnic here:
- A deli picnic for 2 people costs at Beetle Euro 99.
- A Munich picnic with Italian delicatessen specialties is included Alimentari da Graziela for 48,50 euros.
- The restaurant together offers picnic baskets for every taste for between 35 and 45 euros. (2-4 people)
- The saturday kids there are breakfast baskets for 2-3 people for 47,90 euros.
- Those who prefer a vegan breakfast can do so with a picnic basket for 2 people from banana leaf to do. Price: 50 euros.
Where can you have a picnic in Munich?
You can find nice picnic spots in Munich at these locations:
The English garden
A place that everyone in Munich knows and likes to use for a time in the park is the English Garden. Picnicking at what is probably Munich's most famous picnic spot. You don't necessarily have to go to the Chinese Tower or the Monopteros for a few hours of enjoyment. There are many ways where you can spread your blanket away from the hustle and bustle. Why not get on your bike and cycle to the northern part of the park? There you will find good places where you can enjoy your snack away from the crowds. We have near from Freising Court discovered beautiful places where you have the park almost to yourself.
At the Isar
- Not only the Flaucher between the Flauchersteg and the Wittelsbacherbrücke is often used for a few hours of sunshine on the river bank.
- Swimming and Grilling you can also go from Marienklausensteg to Thalkirchner Brücke.
- Swimming is prohibited at the Wittelsbacherbrücke due to some dangerous spots. But a little further downstream to the Reichenbach Bridge you can swim in the Isar.
- The Isar is particularly shallow between the Marienklausensteg and the Großhesselloh railway bridge. Children can also go into the water safely there. We especially like this region because not so many get lost for a swim in this region.
- The same applies to the Isar in the north of Munich. From the Max Joseph Bridge to just before the weir in Oberföhring, trees offer plenty of shade. Here you can always find a quiet spot in the shade for a barbecue or a picnic in Munich.
Picnic on the Olympiaberg in Munich
If you prefer to enjoy the view of Munich, then the Olympiaberg is ideal. The best thing to do is to pack a picnic basket and cycle it all the way up to the top of the mountain. Above - and along the paths - there are benches from which you have a view of the city center and the mountains on one side and the Olympic Center on the other. Here you can picnic in Munich and you are spoiled for choice which view you prefer. If you want something quieter, you will usually find plenty of space for your picnic blanket on the meadow below the viewpoint.
travel individually to Munich
If you want to get to know Munich on your own, I warmly recommend the Munich travel guide by Achim Wigand from Michael Müller Verlag. The author is a city guide in Munich and knows insider tips that not everyone knows. He supplements his sightseeing classics with sightseeing alternatives that let you look deeper into the heart of Munich. His guide will take you through the metropolis on the Isar on 12 tours. There are also tips for suburban castles and trips to the Munich area. At the end he tells interesting and practical things you need for a visit to Munich. With the purchase of the travel guide, you also acquire code access to the extensive mmtravel.com app.
Order the Munich MM-City travel guide here*
A Munich picnic in the Westpark
There are two lakes in the Westpark, the Westsee and the Mollsee. The Asian part of the park with a China and a Japan garden is worth seeing. There is also a Nepalese pagoda and a sala from Thailand with a Buddha statue. The park offers barbecue facilities and several restaurants with beer gardens.
Picnicking in Munich's Luitpoldpark is a little quieter
The Luitpoldpark is less well known. This is between the English Garden and the Olympic Park. On the benches in the park or on the meadow you can have your snack from the lunch box unpack and enjoy the shade under the trees. For those who feel like some exercise, there are table tennis tables. What we like best is the view of the city – mountain panorama included.
There's plenty of space for a picnic in Munich's Hirschgarten
A good place for a picnic in Munich is the Hirschgarten. This park is not as central as many of the other green spaces. But it is so big that everyone can find a place for their picnic here. Incidentally, it rightly bears its name. You can also watch deer in the deer garden.
On the Fröttmaninger Berg Picnicking in Munich is away from the hustle and bustle
In the north of Munich, right next to the motorway to Nuremberg and opposite the arena, is the Fröttmaninger Berg. Many have seen this mountain. However, only a few use it for excursions. The more space there is here to unpack your picnic utensils. You can enjoy your picnic in Munich either with a view of the arena and the landscape in the north of Munich or with a view of the city.
Basically, the following applies to picnics in Munich: the further you move from the city center, the more space you have for yourself and your picnic. During the week you can also find picnic areas in the city center in the parks of the city without many people. At the weekend it usually looks different. It can be difficult to find a quiet picnic spot in the city. With these tips you can do a little Country life in the city treat.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campersto see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- South of Munich you can stay at the Wolfratshausen campsite, Badstraße 2, 82515 Wolfratshausen. But there are other campsites on Texel. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill after a day trip .
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Accommodation in Munich:
Hotels, apartments and other accommodation in Munich* You can also book through our partner booking.com at this link.
Do you already know:
Source: own research on site
Text: Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: Copyright Canva and the photographers identified in the image description