Picnicking in Munich is fun in these places
You can have a picnic in these beautiful places in Munich. Picnics are trendy. You don't have to travel for that. Nevertheless, you can spend nice hours in nature with it. This is also in big cities like Munich possible. Get everything you need for a snack on viktualienmarkt or at the bakery and butcher around the corner. Pack your picnic blanket and a picnic basket and drive to one of the places we suggest here. So you can enjoy your weekend in the sun.
What do you need for a picnic?
- What you at picnic Accessories we have put together here.
- The portable picnic grillif you want to grill sausages, shashlik or a steak
- A small one is also useful Gas grill.
- Matching Grill recipes
- In a Dutch Oven you can even do it on the grill One Pot Recipes Cook. You can also find Dutch oven accessories here.
- Cool box for camping
Nice places in Munich for a picnic
Munich has many beautiful places that are suitable for a picnic. Parks, green spaces, the banks of the Isar. You can even bring your picnic to beer gardens (you only have to buy the beer on site). So there are numerous possibilities for enjoying nature.
Order a picnic in Munich
You don't always want to put your picnic together yourself. That takes time and effort. You can also order your picnic. After that, all you have to do is pick it up and enjoy it. You can order your Munich picnic here:
- A delicacy picnic for 2 people costs Beetle Euro 99.
- The restaurant together offers picnic baskets for every taste for between 35 and 45 euros. (2-4 people)
- The saturday kids There are breakfast baskets for 2-3 people at a price of 47,90 euros.
- Those who prefer a vegan breakfast can do so with a picnic basket for 2 people from banana leaf to do. Price: 50 euros.
Where can you have a picnic in Munich?
You can find nice picnic spots in Munich at these locations:
The English garden
A place that everyone in Munich knows and likes to use for a time in the park is the English Garden. Picnicking at what is probably Munich's most famous picnic spot. You don't necessarily have to go to the Chinese Tower or the Monopteros for a few hours of enjoyment. There are many ways where you can spread your blanket away from the hustle and bustle. Why not get on your bike and cycle to the northern part of the park? There you will find good places where you can enjoy your snack away from the crowds. We have near from Freising Court discovered beautiful places where you have the park almost to yourself.
At the Isar
- Not only the Flaucher between the Flauchersteg and the Wittelsbacherbrücke is often used for a few hours of sunshine on the river bank.
- Swimming and Grilling you can also go from Marienklausensteg to Thalkirchner Brücke.
- Swimming is prohibited at the Wittelsbacherbrücke due to some dangerous spots. But a little further downstream to the Reichenbach Bridge you can swim in the Isar.
- The Isar is particularly shallow between the Marienklausensteg and the Großhesselloh railway bridge. Children can also go into the water safely there. We especially like this region because not so many get lost for a swim in this region.
- The same applies to the Isar in the north of Munich. From the Max Joseph Bridge to just before the weir in Oberföhring, trees offer plenty of shade. Here you can always find a quiet spot in the shade for a barbecue or a picnic in Munich.
Picnic on the Olympiaberg in Munich
If you prefer to enjoy the view of Munich, then the Olympiaberg is ideal. The best thing to do is to pack a picnic basket and cycle it all the way up to the top of the mountain. Above - and along the paths - there are benches from which you have a view of the city center and the mountains on one side and the Olympic Center on the other. Here you can picnic in Munich and you are spoiled for choice which view you prefer. If you want something quieter, you will usually find plenty of space for your picnic blanket on the meadow below the viewpoint.
Travel individually to Munich
If you want to get to know Munich on your own, then I highly recommend the travel guide for individual travel to Munich by Achim Wigand from Michael Müller Verlag. The author is a city guide in Munich and knows insider tips that not everyone knows. He complements his sightseeing classics with sightseeing alternatives that allow you to look deeper into the heart of Munich. His guide will take you through the Isar metropolis on 12 tours. There are also tips for suburban castles and trips to the Munich area. At the end he tells you interesting and practical things you need for a visit to Munich. When you purchase the travel guide, you also acquire code access to the detailed app mmtravel.com.
Order the Munich MM-City travel guide here*
If you purchase via a link marked *, we receive a commission, which we use to run this blog.
A Munich picnic in the Westpark
There are two lakes in the Westpark, the Westsee and the Mollsee. The Asian part of the park with a China and a Japan garden is worth seeing. There is also a Nepalese pagoda and a sala from Thailand with a Buddha statue. The park offers barbecue facilities and several restaurants with beer gardens.
Picnicking in Munich's Luitpoldpark is a little quieter
The Luitpoldpark is less well known. This is between the English Garden and the Olympic Park. On the benches in the park or on the meadow you can have your snack from the lunch box Unpack and enjoy the shade under the trees. There are table tennis tables for those who also feel like getting some exercise. What we like best, however, is the view of the city - including the mountain panorama.
There's plenty of space for a picnic in Munich's Hirschgarten
A good place for a picnic in Munich, for example, is the Hirschgarten. This park is not as centrally located as many of the other green spaces. However, it is so big that everyone can find a place for their picnic here. By the way, he is rightly named. You can also watch deer in the deer garden.
On the Fröttmaninger Berg Picnicking in Munich is away from the hustle and bustle
In the north of Munich, right next to the motorway to Nuremberg and opposite the arena, lies the Fröttmaninger Berg. Many people have already seen this mountain. However, only a few people use it for excursions. There's even more space here so you can unpack your picnic utensils. You can enjoy your picnic in Munich here either with a view of the arena and the landscape in the north of Munich or with a view of the city.
Basically, the following applies to picnics in Munich: the further you move from the city center, the more space you have for yourself and your picnic. During the week you can also find picnic areas in the city's parks downtown without many people. On the weekend, however, things usually look different. It can be difficult to find a quiet place for a picnic in the city. With these tips you can do a little Country life in the city treat.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a mobile home? Then you will find information and a selection of booking options here. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight instead in a roof tent on the car? In addition, the overnight stay in camping tents is possible.
- Be sure to check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- For example, south of Munich you can stay overnight at the Wolfratshausen campsite, Badstraße 2, 82515 Wolfratshausen. But there are also other campsites on Texel. You can relax there after a day trip Dutch Oven or on the portable grill .
- Practical accessories for the mobile home You can also find it here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Parking at the airport
How to get there
Accommodation in Munich:
Hotels, apartments and other accommodation in Munich* You can also book through our partner booking.com at this link.
Do you know this?
- Munich - bike tours for beginners
- Excursion destinations in Bavaria
- The most beautiful picnic spots in Germany
- Baden near Vienna
- Ideas for a perfect picnic
- Picnic - What do you have to bring? You can order it here.
- Farm shops with a café near Munich for an autumn trip
- Germany travel destinations
- Gas grill accessories - why is it worth it?
- Grill Spare Ribs with a Rib Marinade
- Comfortable pumps for wide feet
- Cool backpacks for city trips
Source: own research on site. However, our opinion remains our own.
Text: Copyright Monika Fuchs and TravelWorldOnline
Photos: Copyright Canva and the photographers named in the image description