Discover the Viktualienmarkt Munich on a culinary tour
Nowhere can you experience anything better Munich than on a culinary tour at the Viktualienmarkt in Munich. This food market in the old town reflects the soul of the capital Bavaria contrary. With her warm, but also the rough sides. While strolling through the Viktualienmarkt, my mouth is watering at the sight of apples, grapes and pears. It's the same with vegetables. Leek sticks, cauliflower heads, cabbage or potatoes tempt you to pull out your wallet. The goods that are offered at the Viktualienmarkt are just not cheap. Therefore, we only come here when we need types of fruit or vegetables that we cannot get anywhere else. They're more expensive anyway. And nowhere is it fresher than on the Viktualienmarkt in Munich.
The Viktualienmarkt Munich reflects the soul of this city
The Viktualienmarkt in Munich is not just a fruit and vegetable market. Nowhere else can you experience the soul of this city as intensely as on the Viktualienmarkt. Here you meet the international flair of Munich as well as the Munich Grantler. At a stall that sells Weißwurst, the white sausages, there are a few Japanese customers. They learn how to eat this Munich specialty.
At the beer tables in the beer garden overseas visitors relax with a glass of beer. From there they can watch the goings-on in the market. Suppliers from the Munich area deliver products from the region. A tone of conversation can be struck, that is somewhat rougher. Especially when market visitors block the way of the deliverymen, who bring potatoes, cabbages, salads or apples from the farms in the area. "Geht's waider (make way)", is not uncommonly heard. You hardly hear a "please" or "thank you". People are stressed. Rough tones can also be heard from the stands more often than in Munich's shops. Munich-style! Rough, but warm.
Experience tradition at the Viktualienmarkt in Munich on a culinary tour
Tradition is very important at the Viktualienmarkt in Munich. Whether at the Christmas market, during carnival or when the maypole is set up. These are traditions, that are upheld and take place every year. They are mentioned on television. Every year you read about them in the newspapers. And of course, Munich visitors have heard about them. Therefore, these events are attractions for inhabitants and visitors alike. The market is also a place, where new traditions are born. The Fountain Festival on Viktualienmarkt in Munich is such an event. For years, the statues of folk singers and folk actors, who adorn the fountains on the market, have been decorated in summer. Today's artists show their art in front of the statues of their predecessors.
For us, the Viktualienmarkt is worth a visit at least once a year, just to experience this Munich experience. You can find it in that intensity only here. A place that shows, what makes Munich so special. The warmth of the people of Munich. But also the flair of the city, which it gets from its inhabitants and from the visitors, who year after year come in tens of thousands to the capital of Bavaria. It is precisely this mixture of originality with a pinch of internationality that makes Munich so special for us, a feeling which is best experienced at the Viktualienmarkt.
Viktualienmarkt Munich culinary tour with arrival by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in a camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campers to see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- South of Munich you can stay at the Wolfratshausen campsite, Badstraße 2, 82515 Wolfratshausen. But there are other campsites on Texel. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven or on the portable grill or maybe on that Campfire after a day trip .
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is a folding e-bike useful when camping?
Arrival to the Munich Viktualienmarkt culinary tour
Accommodation in Munich:
Hotels, apartments and other accommodation in Munich* You can also book through our partner booking.com at this link.
Do you already know:
- The Hotel Freisinger Hof at the English Garden
- The Restaurant Pfistermühle am Platzt
- Picnic in Munich
- Munich bike tours for beginners
- Gifts for travelers
- Comfortable pumps for wide feet
- Cool backpacks for city trips
- Esterhazy Palace guided tour in Eisenstadt
- Enjoy the outdoors actively
- Stams Tirol and its sights
Source Viktualienmarkt Munich culinary tour: own experiences on site
Text Viktualienmarkt Munich culinary tour: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline except the photos marked otherwise