How did the Würzburg prince-bishops pass the time?
Garden splendor impresses us in Veitshöchheim. There are many excursion destinations in Franconia that are worthwhile. No wonder! The prince-bishops from Würzburg were present along the Main. Be it because they built churches to strengthen Catholicism in the region. Be it because they had vineyards cultivated. Their profits ultimately served to showcase their power in magnificent buildings. We have many examples of this on ours Motorhome trip along the Main seen. Nowhere is this more obvious than in Würzburg as well as in Veitshöchheim. The garden splendor in this small town surprises us.
Impressive garden splendor in the Hofgarten Veitshöchheim
The Rococo Garden in Veitshöchheim belongs to the castle of the city. This was used by the prince bishops of Würzburg as summer residence. From a flower garden garden architects finally developed the Rococo garden. However, we hardly discover flowers on our tour. Only wildflowers sprout in one of the garden spaces framed by hedges. Flower borders are missing. Instead, wide paths lead through the park. A pond with fountains in the middle of the park also embodies the garden splendor of the Rococo. The park is also divided by hedges into garden rooms. These adorn more than 200 sandstone sculptures. They represent figures of gods, allegories and animals dar. The garden rooms can be reached through green tunnels and finally reaches hidden pavilions.
One of the Rococo gardens in Germany
The park is one of the most important rococo gardens in Germany. Therefore we are not alone on our walk through the park. We meet tourist groups as well as couples, who make themselves comfortable on the bank of the pond. We hear languages from all over the world. A group of young girls discusses in French. Not far away a couple talks in Arabic. Again and again we meet families. They push their prams in front of them. Or they try to keep their offspring in check. Strollers settle on stone benches. They let the garden splendor affect you. The Hofgarten Veitshöchheim is a place of rest. The garden rooms simultaneously create a retreat.
The best pictures show how beautiful this park is. Follow us on our walk through the park.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and a selection in these booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campersto see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You can stay overnight at the Veitshöchheim motorhome parking space, Am Güßgraben 6, 97209 Veitshöchheim. But there are other campsites in the area around Veitshöchheim. There you can after a day trip in a Dutch Oven on the portable grill to prepare your dinner.
- Practical accessories for the mobile home you can also find here.
- Why is an e-bike folding bike useful when camping?
Arrival by plane, car, bus and train
Tel. 0931 91582
Opening hours: from 8.00 o'clock to darkness (latest 20.00 o'clock)
What else is there to discover in Franconia?
- Tour through the Franconian wine country for connoisseurs and pleasure hikers
- How did the farmers once live in Franconia?
- Franconian cuisine tastes delicious
- Bad Kissingen Attractions for Slow Travelers
- 5 wine places for a wine weekend in the Main Valley
- Wine experience in the wine cellar in Sommerach
- Fancy a Roadtrip on the Route of Delights?
- Amazing architecture in the winery brain
- The medieval city Ochsenfurt
- Ways to wine in Würzburg
- Miltenberg, the half-timbered city on the Main
- Tips for a weekend in Würzburg
- Top attraction in Germany: the Main
- Excursion destinations Franconia
Do you already know:
- Museum Lübbenau - a tour
- Discover palaces and castles
- Motorhome packing list
- Gardens and parks
- Gifts for travelers
Source: own research on site. We thank that Franconian wine country for the support as well as the Bavarian castles administration for the permission to publish the photos. The publication of these photos on third-party websites as well as sharing in external social media channels is not allowed. Our opinion, however, remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline