Wine weekend francs
Five wine locations in Franconia for a wine weekend in Franken? When the winegrowers harvest their grapes in autumn, it becomes exciting in the wine regions. How was the summer How much sun did the grapes get? How will the new year be? A wine of the century, or rather middle class? These questions and more keep winegrowers busy at the end of summer. Then they like to celebrate. The beginning of the vintage. The first wines of the year. But also the end of the fear. Now is the time when the grapes are harvested. This is worth a feast. Guests are welcome. Wine and pleasure can be enjoyed in the wine country Franconia. The same goes for the course Heckenwirtschaftenin which you have the You can taste wine in a cozy environment with regional specialties, such as an "onion block", directly from the winemaker, That's why a wine weekend in September or October is a lot of fun.
Franconian wine country places for your wine weekend
Franconian wine towns on the Main are perfect for a wine weekend for connoisseurs in Bavaria. In summer and autumn, the residents of the Mainschleife near Würzburg like to celebrate their way of life and their wines. They invite you to wine festivals in the towns on the Main. A visit to the wine shops is also worthwhile. There you can learn about the wines of the Main Region inform. Some even offer courses in which you can acquire special wine knowledge. The best thing is the wine tasting and wine festivalsthat you best combine with the enjoyment of Franconian specialties. Then it works out with the experience of the wine towns in the Main Valley in Franconia, That means traveling and enjoying in Franconia. The cities on the Main are worth a visit.
Winery with overnight stay for a wine holiday on the Main
- Villa Sommerach in Sommerach with in-house wine shop *
- Castle Hotel Steinburg in Würzburg * in the middle of the vineyards, the only one Weinberg Hotel in Wurzburg
- Villa Geisenhof near Miltenberg * offers wine tasting
We present five wine locations in Franconia. There are wine towns around Würzburg. They are located in the wine region of Mainfranken and are close enough that you can comfortably explore them in two to three days. The driving routes between the villages are not far, so there is enough time to take a closer look at the Franconia wine region. Above all, you can enjoy them at leisure. You need them for such a trip to the wineries in Mainfranken. Not only to drink wine, but also to let the atmosphere of these wine towns in Franconia affect you. What could be nicer in a wine region than tasting the wines of the local winegrowers with regional specialties. We start ours Travel along the Main in
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information and here Booking options. Rent a motorhome or a camper near you here *.
- Check with our Packing list camperwhether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- You want to know where to go with a motorhome stay overnight in Germany can and are you looking for parking spaces and campsites? You can find information about this under this link.
Franconian wine towns for a wine holiday in Franconia
Volkach is a Franconian wine village on the Mainschleife and only a few kilometers away from the Maininsel. On this thrive delicious red and white wines. In addition, the wines are particularly good on the steep slopes on the other side of the Main. There, the grapes get a lot of sun. Volkach is a historic wine-growing village, where wine has been produced for centuries. He owns a worth seeing market place. At this place are some restaurants where you can taste your first Franconian wines. Best with an onion bread or Franconian sausages. Especially nice is a visit to Volkach, when wine festivals take place. The Volkacher know how to celebrate their wine and themselves. They do that, for example
- Festival of the Volkacher way of life
- the Franconian wine festival in August (13.-17.8.2021)
The town of Sommerach on the Main Island is smaller. He was awarded the gold medal several times in the competition "Our village should become more beautiful", as well as in the "Entente Florale", where he received the highest award for his floral decoration. Town houses and half-timbered houses give Sommerach a very special ambience. Worth a visit is the wine shop of the place, the Winzerkeller Sommerach. There you can not only taste wines. You can take wine tours through the vineyards. Fascinating is the wine school, where you can learn a lot of interesting things about wine. Or do you fancy a cooking class where you learn which wine best suits which food? Also in Sommerach you celebrate the wine. This is how it happens every year
- Pentecost Wine Festival (canceled for 2020)
- Experience & Enjoy 2020 is not applicable
- Wine festival style & fascination Sommerach in July (canceled for 2020)
The city of Ochsenfurt am Main is not only worth a visit for the wine. The city describes itself as the “City of Towers”. This is because the city wall of Ochsenfurt is almost completely preserved. City gates and towers still watch over the city and give it a medieval flair. The New Town Hall from the 15th century and the magnificent half-timbered houses in the city center also contribute to this. With its two breweries, the city is not only popular with wine lovers. But of course Ochsenfurt also celebrates the wine:
- at the German-Italian-French Wine Festival (July 23.07.2021, 25.07.2021 - July XNUMX, XNUMX)
Würzburg am Main wine region
Although Würzburg is a larger city, wine plays an important role there. This goes back to the time of the archbishops. These grew wine on their estates along the Main. But the hospitals of the city also made a name for themselves with their wines. In the citizen hospital, you can enjoy wine in the courtyard of the historic building as it has done for centuries. The Juliusspital also owns a vineyard today. This is now making a splash as a VDP winery with its excellent wines. On the slopes of the Main in and around Würzburg grows the Würzburger Stein, a grape variety for which the city is known. There are many wine festivals in Würzburg:
- The Kelterhallen Wine Festival (postponed)
- The Culture Days at the winery Juliusspital (08.05.-23.05.2021)
- The Würzburger wine village (28.5.-08.6.2021)
- The Civil Hospital-Hofschoppenfest (03.-12.09.2020)
- The Hofgarten wine festival (25.06. - 04.07.2021)
- Wein am Stein unplugged (July 08th - 22nd, 2021)
- Wein am Stein 2021 (July 08-21.07.2021, XNUMX)
- Wine parade on the market square (August 26 to September 5, 2021) (next dates: August 25 to September 4, 2022, August 31 to September 10, 2023 - no guarantee)
Miltenberg for a wine weekend
For the last wine town on the Main on our wine weekend in the Franconian wine country, we first leave the river banks and drive to Miltenberg on the Main in Churfranken, Miltenberg is especially interesting for wine lovers, because here - in contrast to the previously mentioned wine places - more red wine is grown. The region owes this to the loam and clay-rich Buntsandsteinböden and the situation in the basin between the Odenwald and the Spessart. This kettle layer ensures a particularly mild climate. Therefore, Burgundy wines grow under perfect conditions on the main slopes around Miltenberg. Of course, Miltenberg also celebrates the wine.
- Wine culture night Bürgstadt 2021
- Wine autumn 2020 canceled
Our tip for a wine weekend in these Franconian wine villages on the Main? Take time for enjoyment. These places offer good wine and interesting sights. All you can not visit on a weekend. Choose those who make you curious, and come back next year.
Travel tips for your Franconia wine weekend
Arrival to your wine weekend
The nearest airports are Frankfurt or Nuremberg. It is also possible to travel by train or bus (to Würzburg).
Rental car in the Franconian wine region:
Accommodations for your wine weekend:
You want to stay in another place? Then search on this website for yours Weinland Franken Accommodation for connoisseurs *
Helpful links for the wine places in Franconia:
- Wine country franc card
- Weinlagen Franconia map and selected wineries / wine shops
- Cities on the Main map
- Franconian wine country events
Discover wine experiences in other regions:
- A wine weekend at the Ahr
- Ideas for a weekend on the Main with the camper
- Tips for a Wine weekend on the Rhine
- Wine weekend at a vineyard in the Rheingau
In WellSpaPortal you will find more Excursion destinations for the weekend.
- How did the farmers once live in Franconia?
- The hearty kitchen in Franconia
- Bad Kissingen attractions for slow travelers
- Garden splendor in Veitshöchheim
- Wine experience in the wine cellar in Sommerach
- Fancy a Roadtrip on the Route of Delights?
- Amazing architecture in the winery brain
- The medieval city Ochsenfurt
- Ways to wine in Würzburg
- Miltenberg, the half-timbered city on the Main
By the way: Further suggestions for Vacation in Germany by car here.
Source: own research on site
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Monika Fuchs and Petar Fuchs are the publishers of the Trips to Savor and Slow Travel Blog TravelWorldOnline Traveler , They have been publishing this blog since 2005. TravelWorldOnline is online since 2001.
Their topics are
Monika Fuchs has been working in tourism since 1990. She has been a tour guide on four continents for 17 years and has accompanied high-class trips through North and Central America, Australia, southern Africa and Europe. Since 2001 she has been a writer and photographer for TravelWorldOnline and writes as a freelance journalist for DIE ZEIT Online and travel magazines such as 360 ° Medien, TRIVAGO, Expedia, travador, etc. She also writes travel guides about destinations and enjoyment destinations all over the world. Your guide about Canada's east was released in 2020. Petar Fuchs produced the videos on this blog as well YouTube.
Monika Fuchs from TravelWorldOnline Traveler is at Germany's top 50 bloggers in 2020
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 50 German-language travel blogs according to reader charts.
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 20 of the most successful German travel blogs according to SEO criteria.
TravelWorldOnline Traveler is among the Top 5 of German Food & Wellness Travel Blogs by popularity among its regular readers.
Find more Information about Monika and Petar Fuchs.