Summer hike through the Pesenbachtal
You should know that before a hike through the Pesenbachtal:
- The hike is partly alpine in character. Therefore, surefootedness, footwear for mountain trails and fitness are necessary.
- Starting point: Bad Mühllacken. Parking spaces are available at the Waldbad.
- Refreshments: the pop host (behind the Schlagerhütte - a shelter - a path branches off to the Schlagerwirt)
- Sights on the way:
- The blue lane (rock deposits make the stream glow blue at this point.)
- A source of radioactivity
- The candle stone (granite rocks that lie on top of each other)
- Map for the hike from Bad Mühllacken
- Difference in altitude: Bad Mühllacken 278 m, Kerzenstein 470 m, Schlagerwirt 390 m
The hike through the Pesenbach valley in Upper Austria lured us. Witches and devils are said to have been up to mischief there. However, there are also talk of shamans and healers. At our Visit to Bad Mühllacken in spring we already sniffed into this brook valley. The memory of it left us with no rest. It made us curious. Therefore, we set out in midsummer to take a closer look at this valley.
Hike through the Pesenbachtal
On a midsummer day we set out at morning temperatures. From the Kurhaus in Bad Mühllacken we start our hike through the Pesenbachtal in Mühlviertel. My fears that we will soon lose our appetite at temperatures around 30 ° quickly turn out to be a fallacy. On the contrary, the rush of the stream and the deciduous trees make the path pleasantly refreshing. In addition, there is a mild wind that keeps moving the canopy over us. Even if it gets warmer during the day, the trees protect us from the sun's rays. We also find places in between where we can step into the water of the stream. This way we keep refreshing our feet.
What you should pack for a hike through the Pesenbachtal in the Mühlviertel
- Find Walking shoes for wide feet right here
- On a hike you need one backpackin which you drink, Brotzeit, a Lunch box and whatever else you do picknick need a jacket and odds and ends.
- Check with our Hiking checklistwhether you have packed everything you need for a hike.
- Mühlviertel travel guide and maps * - Here you will find hiking routes to the power places in the Mühlviertel.
A place of pre-Christian healers
We stay in the Kneipp spa house in Bad Mühllacken. From there we take a description of the hiking trail with us. From this we learn the importance of the places of power along our route. Even in pre-Christian times, women healers practiced their art in this valley. This is indicated by sagas and legends. The Brunoquelle is named after a squire suffering from leprosy who passed this place on his way back from a crusade. He was already at the end of his strength when the healing power of the water freed him from his illness.
Do you like to travel by motorhome?
- The closest campsite to Bad Mühllacken is Camping Puchner. There are other campsites in the area.
- Do you want to rent a motorhome? Then you will find information here as well as booking options. Or would you prefer to stay overnight in a roof tent on the car? Also the overnight stay in camping tent is possible.
- Check our packing list for campersto see whether you have packed everything for your motorhome tour.
- Austria has a comprehensive network of campsites, there are parking spaces in all parts of the country, you can stay overnight for a maximum of one night outside of campsites and parking spaces. But be careful: there are regional bans (Tyrol, Vienna). Camping Guide for Austria * you can buy it here.
Saying of devils and the Otherworld
The stories that are told about the back of the hiking trail are even more exciting. The path between the Schlagerwirt and the Kerzenstein becomes more impassable. Roots and stones make it more difficult. Here you need sturdy hiking shoes with which you can walk this part of the trail safely. This section of the Pesenbach valley used to be reserved for shamans and healers of pre-Christian times. Apparently, a ceremonial path led from the Gaißkirche, a stone formation, through the Pesenbachtal to the candle stone. Reports of the "Wild Hunt" between Martini and Dreikönig are based on this. Then a tremendous storm rose and dogs could be heard barking, goats blaring, roosters crow and whips cracking as people drove out the devil.
At places in the valley, the water of the Pesenbach flows down through whirlpool holes and over waterfalls. There people tried in pre-Christian times to make contact with the otherworld. Such places were reserved only for trained shamans. For normal mortals, however, these places were taboo. The devil also appears again and again in the legends. He is said to have liked to bathe in the devil's tub. One day a young girl caught him doing it. Since he could not harm the innocent child, he drove down with anger. He has not been seen since then.
The mysterious world at the upper Pesenbach is best shown by Petar's video (just click on the photo and you get to Petar's video):
Modern healers in the Pesenbachtal
Even today, the Pesenbachtal is in the sign of healing. The Kneipp Traditionshaus in Bad Mühllacken incorporates the valley and its water into its treatment methods. From the Brunoquelle, the water is bottled fresh every day in glass bottles and taken to the Kurhaus. There it is served for dinner. It is also used for baths, castings and wraps. Thereby it supports the cleaning processes. Several times a week hikes are offered. The participants do Wyda exercises. Wyda is a kind of Celtic yoga, It has been handed down for centuries in Celtic families. So the harmony between body and mind is restored. Our hike through the Pesenbachtal valley helps us to switch off. There is no trace of stress here. The hike through the Pesenbachtal was definitely a lot of fun for us.
If you yourself want to try the hike through the Pesenbachtal, you can do that and join the:
Sisters of Mary of Carmel stay.
Bad Mühllacken 55
4101 Feldkirchen / Danube
(T) + 43 (7233) 7215-0
By the way:
- If you like places like this, you should go too Mill in Anthering near Salzburg look at. You can spend the night right next door in the Forge in anthering.
- A trip to Kleinwalsertal is well worth a trip. On our road trip through Kleinwalsertal in late summer we also discovered several hiking trails.
Excursion tips in the Mühlviertel
- Schlägl Abbey in the Bohemian Forest
- Inns in the Mühlviertel for connoisseurs
- Mühlviertel excursion destinations
If you do not want to stay in the monastery, but only want to use the offers there, that works too. Hotels in Feldkirchen on the Danube * You can book through our partner booking.com.
Find more Slow Travel Tips is here. at Stift Lilienfeld and the Muckenkogel in Lower Austria we have a nice hiking area discovered.
Do you already know:
- Upper Austria travel destinations
- Everything for the goose: on a shopping tour through the Burgenland
- Austria vacation summer
- Austria holiday
- Discover Franconian wine country
- Gifts for hikers
Source: own research on site. We would like to thank the Kneipp Traditionshaus in Bad Mühllacken for the invitation to this trip. Our opinion remains our own.
Text: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Photos: © Copyright Monika Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline
Video: © Copyright Petar Fuchs, TravelWorldOnline